Problem running Linux on Packard Bell Easynote EN TE69AP

indri3525
indri3525 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 20 in 2020 Archives
I tried to install (dual boot) Ubuntu 20.04 using the default UEFI settings on my Windows 10 notebook. Everything was going fine until I reached this screen.

I ticked install third-party software and then entered a password for secure boot. I pressed Continue and the notebook froze. After I rebooted, Ubuntu got stuck at the loading screen. No matter what I tried, I could not get past the loading screen. I tried other Linux distributions such as Linux Mint and Fedora and had the same problem. Linux hangs shortly after displaying the splash screen.

After trying multiple solutions which I am going to list below, I decided to take out my hard disk, attach it to my desktop PC, and install Ubuntu without third party drivers from there. I successfully installed Ubuntu. However, when I attached the hard disk back to my notebook, I had exactly the same problem as before - Ubuntu hangs shortly after displaying the splash screen.

Things that I tried that are not working: updating the BIOS (InsydeH2O) to v1.12, Ctrl+Alt+F1, nomodeset, Nouveau.modeset:0, writing the image using Rufus and then Etcher, (the USB worked fine on my desktop PC), trying Lubuntu, restoring previous bootloader using Macrium Reflect.

My UEFI looks exactly like this except that I don't have an option to 'Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing' and booting in legacy mode is not supported. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqOkXvEkdtM&feature=youtu.be&t=135

Also worth mentioning other things that I tried: Setting a supervisor password, erase all secure boot setting, restore Secure Boot to factory default and disabling Secure Boot.

Any thoughts what I can do to resolve my problem?

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    With multiple PCs and installing multiple Linux versions for years, I came up with the conclusion that some Linux versions work with some PCs. One version working with this PC doesn't mean it will work with another PC. Knoppix is one that is most portable and very good at hardware detection, but it does not work with my newest PC at all from the beginning.

My suggestion is try a non-Ubuntu based Linux. Manjaro seemed to be a good choice.