Chromebook CB315-2HT, Linux, sound driver I installed it and still no sound

fargodwefargodwe Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited December 2022 in Chromebooks
I was gifted a Chromebook CB315-2HT last Christmas.  It uses Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device 15b3.  The sound works fine in ChromeOS.  However, I found the Chromebook pretty useless for what I do, so I loaded a special firmware from mrchromebox so I have linux Mint installed in its place and boot straight to linux.  The sound, however, does not work.  Since the last I knew ChromeOS was supposedly built around the linux kernel I assume it has a driver for the sound that is compatible with the linux kernel.  Since the latest and greatest kernel 5.8 came out and it was to include a lot of driver updates I installed it and still no sound.  So - does anyone have a name, source, etc., for the sound driver?  I believe Google calls this CB "Aleena".
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

FAQ & Answers

• anonymous123anonymous123 Member Posts: 1 New User

did you ever get it figured out?

• billseybillsey ACE Posts: 26,406 Trailblazer

Your kernel isn't the Chromebook kernel that has sound drivers compiled in, you need to deal with the Mint developers to get the right drivers.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackEJackE ACE Posts: 40,836 Trailblazer

Go to the Mint start menu. Open software manager. Search 'pavu'. Install PulseAudioVolumeControl if not already installed. Reboot.

Jack E/NJ