Why no sound?

bluski5
bluski5 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
The mute key, F9, is set to "on".  Volume is maxxed out, but I still have no sound on my fairly new Swift 1, SF114-32. No sound from Youtube, etc.  Is there a setting somewhere that might be causing this?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Yeah, right click on the sound icon at lower right and go to Sound Settings. Make sure the Output Device is set right and not muted.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • bluski5
    Thank you. The right click on the icon gets you deeper into settings quickly. I like that.  When I got to "output devices". I had the option to either "test or disable".  The test produced no sound.  Disable obviously does the mute.  I did follow the Microsoft Help pathway.  Not talking to anyone live, they ran a test, (also produced no sound), and then claimed to have updated an audio driver, that still produced no results.  I opted to "talk to someone", and got a call back.  They created a case number and I was told I would be connected to someone that would hear the issue.  The call dropped before that connection was made. I am waiting for an email, hopefully.  I can't believe that this 2 month old computer might have a speaker problem, as the audio has worked well previously.  Thank s again for the help.
  • billsey
    Have you a set of headphones or earbuds you can test with? That would help determine if it's a global sounds issue or bad speakers...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • bluski5
    The plug-in earbuds don't deliver either. Tryin' to keep faith up in my Acer. Struggling.  :-)
  • billsey
    OK, if the speakers don't make sound an a set of earbuds don't make sound, it's got to be software. :) There isn't really any physical connection between the internal speakers and the phono jack. Now all we have to do is figure out where things are muted... First, there's likely a key that mutes sound, right next to the keys for volume up and down. Try them, then try them with the Fn key as well. Can you unmute or change the volume up with them? On my Switch they are F9-Mute, F10-VolDown, F11-VolUp. Next right click on the speaker icon at bottom right and look at both Sound Settings and Volume Mixer to see if everything is up high.
  • bluski5
    Yes, I've done the F9-10-11 keys, but never conjunctively with the FN key.  Pretty much tried everything in settings, I believe.  
  • bluski5
    Good news here.  Did the FN key conjunctively with the volume-up/volume down and saw no changes (volume bar) on the screen.  I retarted the computer, and Allah!! - I have sound.  Nothing wrong with my "cheap computer"!   :)  Thank you for your help and guidance!
  • billsey
    Wow. I would feel better if we knew what actually did it. :)
  • bluski5
    Unfortunately, my "feeble tech-mind" has grown pretty used to living on the ignorant side of things.  LOL. But, yes, there is always that desire to learn from experience.  Thumbs-up.