password verification issues

littlerami
littlerami Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
My chromebook started saying my password couldn't be verified when I try to login using any of my 4 user accounts.  I know I'm using the correct passwords--I've used the show keyboard on all of them to make sure.  I can still login to my google accounts through browse as guest, so that isn't the problem.  I have not changed the passwords recently, and it is not a keyboard layout issue, I have tried that option many times.  It says US as usual.  I am only and have only been logging into these accounts on the chromebook, not a tablet or phone.  I have tried the refresh and power off and wait a few days. Nothing has worked.  I would like to avoid factory resetting if possible.  Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Log into your Google account from another system and make sure everything is correct there.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    A couple of things I can think of to check. Make sure the Chromebook has internet connectivity while logging in, sometimes they aren't fully connected and they then use cached credentials, and the cache might be corrupt. Next check to see if the time is set right, most internet encryption relies on the time at both ends to be close to the same. If your Chromebook thinks it is 1970, it won't make the secure connection to Google, who's in 2020. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • littlerami
    Thank you for the suggestions billsey---yes it has strong signal connection and the date and time are correct.  I've also tried turning off the wifi both on the chromebook and at the modem, no luck with that either.  I appreciate you taking the time to offer suggestions.  
  • DJAZ
    DJAZ Member Posts: 1 New User
    I also have the password verification issue. It started two days ago and at first I could try one or two times and my password (I've used for 2 years) was verified. Today, however, it would not accept the password after many tries. Following Google recommendations I reset my Google account password and still my Acer Chromebook will not let me log in. I have followed a long list of checks and all of them are ok and working properly...except for the password verification. Google won't admit there is a problem but it certainly seems that there is. So, any suggestions beyond what was posted above? At this point I really need access to my Chromebook and do not want to do a full system reset as suggested by Google support. This is the first issue with my Chromebook in 2 years, but it is a big one and very frustrating. Thanks for any suggestions.
  • John2nd1972
    John2nd1972 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited August 2020
    I am having the same issue trying to set up Acer chromebook. Powerwash 4 times now!!!!
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Log into your Google account from another system and make sure everything is correct there.
  • littlerami
    billsey, I have done that for all the accounts and all the passwords work, it's just the chromebook.
This discussion has been closed.