Problem with HDMI input Acer Aspire Z24-880

Options
MichaelF
MichaelF Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
I am trying to digitise an old dvd which contains holiday videos. I have tried to copy the file from cd/dvd player to the PC but it never gets beyond about 30%. It plays perfectly on a stand alone blue ray player. I therefore thought I would use the hdmi input, play the video and copy it using a software program.
However when I connect the player to the PC the screen displays "hdmi input" but it then goes black. The PC appears to freeze, the mouse is not visible. If i unplug the the hdmi cable it goes back to the desktop.
Any ideas!

Answers

• MichaelF

Tinkerer

Options
    Still trying to resolve this problem. 
    The video is playing on the dvd player, I can see the timer on the dvd player changing so there is not a problem there.
    I have found the display button on the underneath which enables me to switch between the pc and hdmi but I still get nothing but a black screen. I do get the message saying hdmi in.
    Could it relate to a problem with HDCP? I don't see why it should cause a problem because the disc is a homemade dvd with video transferred fro my camera.
    Do I have to change some settings for the hdmi input.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    You have two HDMI ports, one HDMI-Out and one HDMI-In. Neither will work as you expect though. The HDMI out is only used for displaying on an external monitor, so can't be used by the computer to capture incoming HDMI video. The HDMI-In sounds like it would work, but it's actually only routed to the monitor, it allows you to use your Z24-880 to display the input from an external source, the video coming in goes to the monitor without the computer ever seeing it. What you want is an HDMI capture device. They typically plug into your USB port and capture incoming HDMI streams. You use some companion software to do something with those streams. There are a few popular models but they all have been tough to find during the pandemic because so many people find they want one.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MichaelF

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for coming back to me. I have sent off for an hdmi capture device. I will let you know if it works.
  • MichaelF

Tinkerer

Options
    I have now got an hdmi capture device. Plugged it in and I could see the dvd player. It came up under usb cameras but that had a video option. Pressed  and it started to play on screen and I could record the video. 
    A file was created, an m4v but when I click on it to play I get an error message. Failed to open or parse file (hr=0x8004005)
    Any idea where I go from here?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Che ck to see if the software supplier has any updated codecs or a link to codecs that work. M4v is an Apple format and likely will need converting to something less proprietary.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.