Predator XB3 Monitor Issues

MajinErick
MajinErick Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 14 in 2020 Archives
I just purchased a Predator XB3 monitor and it seems to not engage with G-Sync over DP 1.2.  I use it with a RTX 2060 Super and wonder if there is any updated firmware for this monitor to use it with at least DP 1.3/1.4 GPU's like the RTX brands?

Answers

• STOPchris
    STOPchris Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    I don't know if you have done this yet, but there is a setting in the OSD of the monitor to enable adaptive sync/Gsync. You have to have that enabled AND Gsync compatible enabled in the Nvidia control panel.
  • MajinErick
    edited August 2020
    Yeah, I have the adaptive sync enabled, but to be descriptive of the issue I had:

When I use a Dell full G-Sync monitor (144hz), the fullscreen and windowed mode works fine on the windowed/fullscreen borderless modes.  When I switched to this monitor, the fullscreen borderless modes were very choppy and lagging, however, the exclusive fullscreen mode works very well at 240hz.  When I turned on the monitor's HDR 400 mode, it all still works, but Windows 10 does not detect HDR.  I'm using the NVIDIA hotfix driver based from the latest game ready one (451.85).  I also have a RTX 2060 Super Foundation.

I started troubleshooting over the fullscreen mode and will continue more as I'm writing.  I changed the monitor's mode to DP 1.1 and the windowed mode was smoother, but not as smooth at 120hz.  I thought....well maybe there is a firmware issue, because this shouldn't happen.  When I read the manual online, unlike the manual that came with the product, it stated that it's also a FreeSync monitor, which explains the GSync Compatibility and vertical range of 48-242.  With the horizontal range of 255-255, the windowed mode should be very smooth when used with G-Sync.

I turned off G-Sync and the windowed mode works fine, but it seems backwards.  It should work smoother in the adaptive sync mode.  It was more of the functionality of the monitor than the settings, which is why I was wondering if there is a firmware update to this monitor.  It's a XB273 model.  

I also think that this may be a Windows 10 limitation to the speed of the Windowed/Fullscreen borderless mode when being used at 240hz.  I would need to see someone else use 240hz with fullscreen borderless in a legit manner.
  • STOPchris
    STOPchris Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Yeah, I have the adaptive sync enabled, but to be descriptive of the issue I had:

When I use a Dell full G-Sync monitor (144hz), the fullscreen and windowed mode works fine on the windowed/fullscreen borderless modes.  When I switched to this monitor, the fullscreen borderless modes were very choppy and lagging, however, the exclusive fullscreen mode works very well at 240hz.  When I turned on the monitor's HDR 400 mode, it all still works, but Windows 10 does not detect HDR.  I'm using the NVIDIA hotfix driver based from the latest game ready one (451.85).  I also have a RTX 2060 Super Foundation.

I started troubleshooting over the fullscreen mode and will continue more as I'm writing.  I changed the monitor's mode to DP 1.1 and the windowed mode was smoother, but not as smooth at 120hz.  I thought....well maybe there is a firmware issue, because this shouldn't happen.  When I read the manual online, unlike the manual that came with the product, it stated that it's also a FreeSync monitor, which explains the GSync Compatibility and vertical range of 48-242.  With the horizontal range of 255-255, the windowed mode should be very smooth when used with G-Sync.

I turned off G-Sync and the windowed mode works fine, but it seems backwards.  It should work smoother in the adaptive sync mode.  It was more of the functionality of the monitor than the settings, which is why I was wondering if there is a firmware update to this monitor.  It's a XB273 model.  

I also think that this may be a Windows 10 limitation to the speed of the Windowed/Fullscreen borderless mode when being used at 240hz.  I would need to see someone else use 240hz with fullscreen borderless in a legit manner.

It would be nice if there was a firmware update. Especially, to fix the occasional temporary image retention issues that you can run into with these monitors.
  • MajinErick
    Yes, which is strange.  It saves previous images of the games in some cases, for you end up with two images.