Is USB-C video supported on Aspire R 15?

SilverZed
SilverZed Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have a multi-port USB-C hub with HDMI and VGA ports. All USB devices that are plugged in work. The HDMI and VGA connections to the monitor are not detected. Is USB video supported on this model?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    There are many R15 models, Some do, some don't. What's your full model number R5-5xx??? For those that don't have video out capability, you need an active USBC hub that converts the GPU's video signal to a data stream that the C port can handle.  They're not too much more expensive than a passive pass-thru hub that you probably have. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SilverZed
    SilverZed Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks JackE. My model is R5-571T-57Z0. I am looking for a USB hub that allows me to switch between my work supplied laptop and my personal laptop. The work laptop is USB-C compatible with docking stations that have RJ45 network, USB, and HDMI ports. I want to flip between machines using a common monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse. Sharing the hardwired network would be great too.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Addressing your original post, your R5-571T USBC & USBA ports do not support HDMI or VGA or displayport video signal output, only data i/o. You might however be able to use a smart active adapter that essentially allow USB video output. Some folks have reported success with this USBA video converter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BPEV1XK/ 

As for flipping between machines using a common monitor, that should be easily possible with a simple A-B HDMI switch that re-directs HDMI output from the work laptop or the  R5. I sense however that you might be looking for something more interactive or complicated between the two laptops than using a common monitor

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ