Stress testing Acer SWIFT SF314-56G - is it normal that cpu is only limited to max 15W power draw?

Options
ed4myra
ed4myra Member Posts: 80 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,

I was experimenting with stress testing on my 1 year old Acer SWIFT SF314-56G with i5-8265U and MX250.
Now I have comparison material with my new Ryzen 4500U [6 core] laptop.

Both have 1 fan, but the Ryzen laptop has 2 heatsinks. I am disappointed about the power and thermal limits of the Acer. 
I have been using: 
  • HWinfo64 - for measuring power draw of CPU and temps,
  • Cinebench R20 for cpu stress testing,
  • notebookfancontrol [only readonly] for checking the fan speed.
Here are the numbers:
                                          Acer SWIFT SF314-56G   Lenovo Flex 5 AMD 4500U
sustained power draw         14-15W                            25-29W
CPU temp                            93C                                  95C
fan speed                            100%                                 N/A                                     [readout notebook fan control]
thermal throttling                 yes                                   no                                       [readout from HWinfo]
PL2 setting                           25W
I am not here to compare the 2 cpu's or laptops, but I am surprised how limited the cooling capacity is of the Acer [15W at 93C compared to the PL2 limit of 25W].
I am using the latest Windows [2004] and the latest BIOS [1.14] and all drivers are up to date.

Is this normal behavior of the Acer laptop or does my Acer have a overheating/cooling issue?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,481 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>Is this normal behavior of the Acer laptop or does my Acer have a overheating/cooling issue? >>>

Yes normal. And maybe a better heatsink paste like Kryonaut or ArcticMX4 might reduce it a bit to under 90*C if 93*C bothers you more than it bothers the machine. When pushed at sustained 15watts, these new crowded laptops run a lot hotter. Throttling doesn't even start anywhere near 93*C . The 25watt boost is used so seldomly, and then only for very shorts bursts, that it won't affect the temps under sustained heavy loads. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ed4myra
    ed4myra Member Posts: 80 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    Thanks for answering.

A good decision finally to move to AMD with their more power efficient ryzen 3rd gen architecture and a laptop model with more thermal cooling capacity
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,481 Trailblazer
    Options
    Some others have claimed similar opinions.   :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ