How I upgraded my Acer Spin 5 SP515-51N to M.2 NVME - anyone had any success with other methods?

michae1kor
michae1kor Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I found little help online with this so I figured I would write it out in hopes it will help others :) 

This will also include suggestions and problems I've encountered. 

I used a XPG Gammix S11 PRO 256GB ($67.99 CAD). 

I initially attempted to clone my drive, but the adapter I purchased was not compatible - so I went with a clean install of windows 10 instead. 

I created a bookable USB drive to install windows 10 using the Windows Media Creation tool (very easy to use), you just need a 8GB USB.  

Also, have a second USB with the drivers downloaded onto them - you can retrieve the drivers here (i didn't bother installing quick access) : https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/support-product/7383?b=1&pn=NX.GSFAA.005 

I installed the NVME by popping off the back plate (turn off computer while doing this, and make sure power adapter is disconnected from your laptop). Turned my computer back on, with the USB plugged in, and immediately hit F2 to bring up the BIOS. I enabled Windows Boot Manager, and changed the boot to boot from the USB. 

Went to the Repair Section of the boot manager, and entered command Prompt to properly format the NVME so I could install windows 10 onto the M.2 NVME. Once in the command prompt: start diskpart

Which will bring up a second window, then enter the following (1 space before each command):

-list disk
-select disk # (enter the number where your nvme is listed, should be disk 1 - image below for ref)
-clean
-convert gpt
-create primary partition
-format quick fs=ntfs
-exit

Exit and restart to install - the disk needs to be GPT in order to install windows 10. 

if the computer isn't booting the usb after restart, restart again and hit f10 or f12 to bring up Boot Manager - leave boot manager enable (important). 

Now go to the install section from booting the usb - select the NVME and install - it will install reallllly fast. Once it says it needs to restart to complete install, and it has installed - remove the WINDOWS usb - it may bring up a screen on windows boot manager if you left the 1TB HHD in - the top windows version will be the NVME. 

Do the following if you wish to bypass all the bloatware windows includes - do not connect to wifi, install without wifi - pretty much deny all the options they offer lol. I had to reinstall multiple times because i was encountering some issues - the drivers Acer provides are fine tuned for Acer Spin, the ones windows provide are generic - if you install the updates from Update Manager; you will encounter some problems. 

So, using the USB with the drivers - we will install those first before connecting to wifi and updating to ensure there are no problems (starting with the I/O driver). I am sure you can figure out the rest from here :) install those drivers, then turn on wifi and update. 

Take aways for me - and things I wish I didnt do. 

Seeing the boot manager everytime at start up essentially means you have 2 computers on your computer. If you select the other one, it will boot up your old computer. Also, the new version of windows you installed onto the NVME is not the same as the one on your HHD. That version is kinda fine tuned for the Acer Spin 5. I later wiped it, and regret it - its a great back up/fall back to have. Some little things with the new version i installed were different; like Acer Quick Access wasn't bringing up the feature to disable auto dimming like it was on the version on my HHD.

And i haven't even formatted the old 1TB because i am worried acers bios will attempt only to boot from that drive. 

Hope this helps someone - if you have any questions, I will try to respond promptly. 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Part of your procedure will often cause problems. After converting the SSD to GPT you shouldn't create that partition. It will do one big partition on the disk and leave no room for the EFI partition that Windows boot from. Let the installer create your partitions for you and it will do all three or four needed for the proper boot environment. With your method you will still be loading EFI from the HDD and also the recovery partitions will be on the HDD. Not a big difference, but it's cleaner to keep everything on the SSD and only use the HDD for data.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • michae1kor
    michae1kor Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited July 2020
    billsey said:
    Part of your procedure will often cause problems. After converting the SSD to GPT you shouldn't create that partition. It will do one big partition on the disk and leave no room for the EFI partition that Windows boot from. Let the installer create your partitions for you and it will do all three or four needed for the proper boot environment. With your method you will still be loading EFI from the HDD and also the recovery partitions will be on the HDD. Not a big difference, but it's cleaner to keep everything on the SSD and only use the HDD for data.
    Wouldn't allow me to install without creating a partition primary - please suggest/list command prompt inserts for proper partition breakdown as you are stating. 

Not trying to argue - just asking as this is for others really, I am fine with my procedure - lets make sure they do it properly for others who use this as a guide :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    edited August 2020
    During the Windows install, when it shows the available disks and asks which partition to use, just select all that unallocated space on the empty drive. The installer will then create all needed partitions, no need to do any of them manually.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.