[Helios 300 PH315-53] High fan speed/noise during battery charging. BIOS update request!

Abdella
Abdella Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,

Less than a month ago I received my Predator Helios 300 PH315-53 (2020 version, 10th gen CPU, RTX2060) and noticed the following strange behavior:

When the battery is low/drained and system is idle, I plug in the charger and right after plugging it the fans speed increase to 3K RPM during battery charging while temps are as low as 40-45c (I can't manually change fans speed in this scenario for some reason!). When the battery charging is complete, fan speeds return to normal ~1K RPM at idle and temps are still in 40-45 range and then I can again control fan speeds.

The following screenshot from my laptop shows this scenario:

I tried doing a power reset (pressing power button 30 seconds while laptop is off and AC is unplugged) and also tried updating battery drivers and the issue is still there.

Is this normal for this model? Is it designed to cool the battery charging circuitry during charging? Any ideas to resolve this?

I really hope this can be resolved by a BIOS update soon!

Answers

• Abdella
    Any ideas?
  • gascn
    gascn Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    I have the same unit I think this is normal
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited August 2020
    Abdella its normal on all 2019 models the fan curve its much more aggressive in order to perform a better cooling optimise your windows and undervolt it further with TS if needed to lower the temps even more check your real temps on TS or hwinfo/hwmonitor or msi AB to compare to PS sometimes PS doesnt take the correct readings

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Abdella
    A quick update and good news!!

Acer released a bios update version 1.06 a week ago that appears to fix this issue. Yay!!
  • akshaynox
    akshaynox Member Posts: 1 New User
    Abdella said:

Acer released a bios update version 1.06 a week ago that appears to fix this issue. Yay!!
    Has anyone tried this BIOS update? Did it break anything for anyone? My system came out of the box with BIOS version 1.01. Are there any improvements or fixes that warrant a risk of update?
  • corvusthegenius
    corvusthegenius Member Posts: 40 Troubleshooter
    Abdella said:

can you undervolt your laptop on bios v1.06? does the offset value change to negative value on hwmonitor? can u try this? cos I need to know. u can check on google on how to undervolt. just undervolt by -50mV on both cache and core using intel XTU. thanks
  • ダージリン様
    ダージリン様 Member Posts: 88 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Abdella said:

can you undervolt your laptop on bios v1.06? does the offset value change to negative value on hwmonitor? can u try this? cos I need to know. u can check on google on how to undervolt. just undervolt by -50mV on both cache and core using intel XTU. thanks
    yes you still can undervolt in BIOS 1.06

• corvusthegenius
    Abdella said:

does ur unit fix this with 1.06 bios? can u show ur firmware name on device manager?
  • ダージリン様
    Abdella said:

does ur unit fix this with 1.06 bios? can u show ur firmware name on device manager?

its only show "system Firmware"

my fan speed still at 3000rpm at idle..
  • corvusthegenius
    Abdella said:

its only show "system Firmware"

my fan speed still at 3000rpm at idle..
    then why that guy said it fixes the problem on bios 1.06?
  • ダージリン様
    Idk either, i updated my bios because he said that too ahahah,
    well, im just waiting for notebook fan control config for this laptop then
  • corvusthegenius
    ur gpu fan speed up to 3750 rpm right?
  • Abdella
    Hello mates,
    Yes the update seem to fix it for me "most of the time" !! It happened again after I wrote the post here but not as bad as it was before bios 1.06.

You may also try this as it seems to work with the OP. I didn't try it yet:
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/613922/acer-predator-helios-300-loud-fan-noise-plugged-in-over-double-rpm
  • corvusthegenius
    Abdella said:
    Hello mates,
    Yes the update seem to fix it for me "most of the time" !! It happened again after I wrote the post here but not as bad as it was before bios 1.06.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/613922/acer-predator-helios-300-loud-fan-noise-plugged-in-over-double-rpm
    can u tell me what's ur firmware name on device manager? is it system firmware or Acer Inc.........?
  • ダージリン様
    ur gpu fan speed up to 3750 rpm right?
    exactly
  • corvusthegenius
    Abdella said:
    Hello mates,

what is ur windows version bro?
  • corvusthegenius
    Abdella said:
    Hello mates,

did u manage to fix this issue?
  • corvusthegenius
    hellooooo..... anyone fixed this issue???
  • Acer has released version 1.07 of the bios for this model. But I don't know if it optimizes the curve of the fan temperature table.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • corvusthegenius
    Acer has released version 1.07 of the bios for this model. But I don't know if it optimizes the curve of the fan temperature table.
    nope. didnt fix the issue.