Left R11 for an hour when I came back it wont turn on

jcotterell95
jcotterell95 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Left it on table for an hour, when I returned it wouldn't turn on and there are no lights when charger is plugged in. Charger is definitely fine and a hard reset didn't help.

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Unfortunately your model has the power jack soldered to the motherboard, so my first thought that the jack had become unplugged isn't going to be the case. When you look into the power jack is the center electrode still there and not bent? Sometimes you can see the little spring steel bit that pushes against the barrel, but it's typically pretty tough to see. To charge both the center electrode needs to be placed in the center of the barrel and the spring needs to push enough on the side of the barrel for both the outside and inside contacts in the barrel to make good contact.
    If we assume the supply is still good and the jack and plug are working as expected, then the next possibility is the battery itself. Hold old is your system? IIRC those models were released for Christmas 2015, so they'd be 4½ years old now. That would be early but not out of line for a battery to fail.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Ok, the Acer part number for a battery is KT.00303.017. You can Google that to get an idea of where the pricing is. To get the battery out you first have to fully shut the machine down. Press the power button and reload key at the same time and it should turn off, as soon as the power light is off unplug the power. You need to go through that procedure even if it seems to be off because sometimes they're just stuck in a sleep state. Flip it over and there are 11 little screws on the bottom holding it together (phillips #1 or #0 IIRC). You gently pry the cover loose from the right side to the left and you end up turning the cover over as if there were a hinge on the right side. There are ribbon cables forming the 'hinge' and you really don't want to break them. It should look something like this at that point:

"B" is the one to worry about. At this point there are the two screws and the battery cable to disconnect then the battery comes out. Sometimes they have something stickey between the battery and the case, but slow prying gets it to release. Reverse the process to put it back together.
    Let us know as it progresses.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Have you checked if your model has a similar button and the one on the main board?
    Acer a515-41g-1480 no liga boto power  Acer Community
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• billsey
    Which model do you have?
  • jcotterell95
    Acer r11 cb5 132t
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Unfortunately your model has the power jack soldered to the motherboard, so my first thought that the jack had become unplugged isn't going to be the case. When you look into the power jack is the center electrode still there and not bent? Sometimes you can see the little spring steel bit that pushes against the barrel, but it's typically pretty tough to see. To charge both the center electrode needs to be placed in the center of the barrel and the spring needs to push enough on the side of the barrel for both the outside and inside contacts in the barrel to make good contact.
    If we assume the supply is still good and the jack and plug are working as expected, then the next possibility is the battery itself. Hold old is your system? IIRC those models were released for Christmas 2015, so they'd be 4½ years old now. That would be early but not out of line for a battery to fail.
  • jcotterell95
    Hi thanks for the reply, I only bought it a year ago  from ebay when it was meant to have been unused, The centre pin looks ok and my main thought was the battery as my daughter has been using it for 10 + hours a day for the last few months.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Ok, the Acer part number for a battery is KT.00303.017. You can Google that to get an idea of where the pricing is. To get the battery out you first have to fully shut the machine down. Press the power button and reload key at the same time and it should turn off, as soon as the power light is off unplug the power. You need to go through that procedure even if it seems to be off because sometimes they're just stuck in a sleep state. Flip it over and there are 11 little screws on the bottom holding it together (phillips #1 or #0 IIRC). You gently pry the cover loose from the right side to the left and you end up turning the cover over as if there were a hinge on the right side. There are ribbon cables forming the 'hinge' and you really don't want to break them. It should look something like this at that point:

"B" is the one to worry about. At this point there are the two screws and the battery cable to disconnect then the battery comes out. Sometimes they have something stickey between the battery and the case, but slow prying gets it to release. Reverse the process to put it back together.
    Let us know as it progresses.
  • jcotterell95
    Just replaced the battery as described, early signs not good though as there are still no charging lights.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Have you checked if your model has a similar button and the one on the main board?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • jcotterell95
    I can't find one!
  • Please do not accept all answers if the problem has not yet been solved. Have you checked the suggestion of colleague @biilsey, regarding the battery?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Pssst3
    Pssst3 Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    How did you test the charger?
  • jcotterell95
    Yes I've replaced the battery
  • jcotterell95
    And checked the charger on a different chromebook.
  • Does the problem still occur?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer