pl. Suggest Upgrade for ES2735G (part #DT.VSJSG.01D)

AshKal
AshKal Member Posts: 32 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Anybody using and upgraded above desktop. Can Veriton ES2735G MoBo (DT.VSJSG.01D) support M.2 SSD to boot? If so which size, NVMe SSD? there are many varieties & confusing. Suggest a graphic card card for both 180watt power or more?

Best Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Dear AshKal,

Good that you took the picture close enough, I could see that this is "M" key M.2 slot. Upgrading with "M" key NVMe SSD with 2280 form factor should not be a problem. I have a computer that also uses on-board Intel graphics UHD 630, which is good for streaming 1080p movies (haven't tried 4K streaming yet) and normal daily usages. So, I use the PCIe x16 slot for an additional M.2 NVMe SSD  with Linux OS on it by putting an adapter there. 

Will you be playing modern games with your PC? Since your power supply is 180W only, if you don't upgrade it you can only use low end cards. Even though you put the low end graphics card in, the increase in performance will not be significant.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    Dear AshKal,

One more final suggestion. Even most M.2 NVMe SSDs nowadays are PCIE 3.0 x4 drives, some are x2 drives. x4 drives are faster than x2 drives. Take note of it.

Since M.2 NVMe SSDs run rather hot, it will be a good idea to add heat sink to the M.2 NVMe SSD to prolong the life of it.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    It does support an SSD in addition to the HDD you have installed. I don't yet have access to a service guide for it though, so I can't get specs as to which drive types it supports. You have a 9th gen Intel CPU so I would expect that it's got an NVMe compatible M.2 slot. I've asked for the SG to be put up, but I don't know how long that will take.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AshKal
    Thanks for trying.
    No user Manual at least perspective of upgrading the desktop my only ruse about Acer. Dell is good in this aspect where user comes first even offer manual for serving the device
    Here is European version with M.2 NVMe SSD

• AshKal
    I am still waiting for solution (M.2 SSD) for VES2735G_E
  • ttttt
    Dear AshKal,

My suggestion is for you to open up the chassis of the PC and take a look inside, see if there is still a M.2 slot available. According to the description, your computer will have a x4 M.2 slot for NVMe SSD, but it is probably used already. Is your current SSD the 256GB x4 M.2 NVMe SSD as in the description? If so, there will be no more M.2 slot yo be used. If your current SSD is a 2.5" SATA SSD (like a small box), then you have a chance to add a M.2 NVMe SSD.

With 180W power supply, you can only use low end graphics cards that draw power from the motherboard, not those two-slot type powerful cards that need additional 6-pin and 8-pin power connectors.
  • AshKal
    ttttt said:
    Dear AshKal,

My suggestion is for you to open up the chassis of the PC and take a look inside, see if there is still a M.2 slot available. According to the description, your computer will have a x4 M.2 slot for NVMe SSD, but it is probably used already. Is your current SSD the 256GB x4 M.2 NVMe SSD as in the description? If so, there will be no more M.2 slot yo be used. If your current SSD is a 2.5" SATA SSD (like a small box), then you have a chance to add a M.2 NVMe SSD.

With 180W power supply, you can only use low end graphics cards that draw power from the motherboard, not those two-slot type powerful cards that need additional 6-pin and 8-pin power connectors.
    Thanks for the trying to solve issue. My PC Model is seems close to this (SKU:DT.VSJSG.015) link given https://store.acer.com/en-sg/veriton-es2735g except PCIe SSD,   I My system SKU: DT.VSJSG.01D There are a 2 M.2 slots one with WiFi card another vacant but not sure of type of SSD (No product Manual) BIOS also shows one PCIe is vacant. I instead of assuming any possibilities exploring from Acer.

• ttttt
    Dear AshKal,

Wait a minute ! Just which one is your PC? You gave two links.

One is VES2735G, which uses i5-9400 processor, having 256GB PCIe  SSD + 1 TB HDD. This means the M.2 NVMe SSD slot is already used, so there will be no more M.2 slot.
    You mentioned "except PCIe SSD", does it mean you still have an open M.2 slot?

The other one is ES2735G, using i3-9100 processor. I tend to think you have the i3-9100 model. Is it correct? 
    You have not answered whether you are using a 256GB M.2 VVMe SSD now!

Please clarify exactly what do you have before we can proceed further. 

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited August 2020
    AshKal said:
    Anybody using and upgraded above desktop. Can Veriton ES2735G MoBo (DT.VSJSG.01D) support M.2 SSD to boot? If so which size, NVMe SSD? there are many varieties & confusing. Suggest a graphic card card for both 180watt power or more?

No it does not support an M.2 SSD, it only support a 2.5 inch SSD, the mainboard has no provisions for an M.2 SSD. The best is to use a Samsung 860 EVO SSD that is recommended for this desktop and I also use myself and they are very durable(I’ve had one over 3 years)  and quick.

• ttttt
    Dear StevenGen,

What model that you have? 

According to the VERITON ES2735G description, it indicates SSD: 256GB SSD NVMe PCIe (x4) v3, obviously not SATA.
  • AshKal
    Sorry, if I my posts made you confuse, read with care again. All the links here is not exactly the my PC SKU or Product IDs. It is just nearest I can get from online source. This PC is exclusive for Singapore Govt Scheme. The exact model number is given in Thread header. Mobo and one M.2 with Wifi card second M.2 vacant.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    Dear AshKal,

Good that you took the picture close enough, I could see that this is "M" key M.2 slot. Upgrading with "M" key NVMe SSD with 2280 form factor should not be a problem. I have a computer that also uses on-board Intel graphics UHD 630, which is good for streaming 1080p movies (haven't tried 4K streaming yet) and normal daily usages. So, I use the PCIe x16 slot for an additional M.2 NVMe SSD  with Linux OS on it by putting an adapter there. 

Will you be playing modern games with your PC? Since your power supply is 180W only, if you don't upgrade it you can only use low end cards. Even though you put the low end graphics card in, the increase in performance will not be significant.
  • AshKal
    Pity @Acer users have to struggle to get product information & upgrade-abilities rather than info comes along the Manual Or easily available at websites.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    Dear AshKal,

One more final suggestion. Even most M.2 NVMe SSDs nowadays are PCIE 3.0 x4 drives, some are x2 drives. x4 drives are faster than x2 drives. Take note of it.

Since M.2 NVMe SSDs run rather hot, it will be a good idea to add heat sink to the M.2 NVMe SSD to prolong the life of it.
  • AshKal
    edited August 2020
    Thanks ttttt,
    I really appreciate your time & effort.
    1. So No M.2 NGFF, No M.2 SATA SSD size is "M" key NVMe M.2 2280 PCIe 3x4(best & fastest) for this MoBo. 
    2. And there is also a hole in between so it will also Hold M.2 2242?
    3. So M.2 suitable key is "M" key not other "B" Key (definitely not) and "B+M" Key (i have doubts)?
    4. I am planning to use High >6W/Mk Thermal pad for NvMe and other chips just extra care.
     It must take care.
    all these info i am seeking to help other users./visitors.
  • ttttt
    Dear Ashkal,

You are correct on the above items. You will be using 2280 M.2 SSD, so ignore the other hole. Other M.2 connectors have another 2230 hole too. Obviously you have knowledge. You can help other people with that. Good computing!
  • billsey
    You can't use the "M" key as a reliable indicator of NVMe PCIe x4 support, there are systems with "M" that only do SATA and others that only do x2. Best it to actually look at the specs...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    Dear Billsey,

On the descriptions of one of the links that explicitly indicated M.2 NVMe "M". So, that must be correct, unless that is incorrect description.
  • billsey
    M.2 M is supposed to be for PCIe x4, but many manufacturers use it with x2 instead, and x2 is more often than not SATA 3 only even though there's a spec for NVMe x2. That is the nice thing about standards, there are so many to choose from, and you don't get fined by cheating a bit. :(