Why does my Aspire A515-52-7290 quit charging- no light?

SergeantAngle
SergeantAngle Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hello. This laptop is less than a month old. Power source doesn't matter, it just will not register that it is plugged in. a full shutdown (fast boot off) and two battery disconnect reset (holding at least 30 seconds) seems to solve this issue, at least for the mean time. I've deleted than reinstalled battery drivers. We returned another of the same model with the same issue only 3 days after purchasing, so I'm seeing a trend.

We don't currently have a laptop stand, and have been using a box as a riser for a better camera angle for work meetings. It doesn't seem to be a overheat issue, but will the laptop quit charging if it's not getting adequate ventilation?  

I had/have an old Toshiba laptop and an old macbook pro that both had the batteries fail due to age, but other than OS and hardware aging out, they are both tanks and still run as long as they're plugged in. This battery issue has me worried. If it is an airflow problem, I can rectify that.

Thanks everyone!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    No. Not related to airflow. May be defective chargers. With a multimeter, measure the open circuit voltage between the charger plug's center hole and its outside ring. Should be about 19volts DC when plugged into the mains. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SergeantAngle

Tinkerer

They are OEM chargers, so hopefully they will replace it
  • JackE
    Check charger plug's output voltage first. They will be replaced if defective. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SergeantAngle

Tinkerer

Thanks. If the issue pops up again I'll break out the multi and see if that's the issue. Thanks for the tip. I'm hoping this time was a one off
  • SergeantAngle

Tinkerer

I forgot to add to this post I found out the problem with our laptop. It probably was the issue with our first laptop that was DOA of the exact same model. The photo has the connection that had worked itself loose just enough to interrupt charging. The laptop had not been opened previously, so it must have been an assembly Q&A issue
  • SergeantAngle

Tinkerer

connector in question 
  • JackE
    Thanks for report. Probably a connector pin missing or incomplete/cracked solder joint

Jack E/NJ