Internal power related functional abnormality causing damage to Aspire V3 574G battery frequently

adhiraj29
adhiraj29 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited November 2022 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks

My 4th yr running Acer Aspire V3 574G laptop creating an innate power supply issue which is damaging any battery within a month or 2 and i have already replaced 3 batteries till date and at last i went to visit a repair centre in our locality where after a thorough check of both the laptop as well as charging adapter, i came to know that some Acer models this issue is common and i am now frustrated. They also told that if i go for repair then, there is 98% chance that the laptop will become dead moreover if i go to change  the motherboard then there is no guaranty that it will not again create the same issue further.

Any help please?

[Edited thread to add model name]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer
    Whom ever you were talking with doesn't seem to have a good handle on what they are seeing. It's certainly not a widespread issue or else we'd be hearing it a lot more on this forum. Did they have any idea why you are seeing the failures? Was it the Acer service center? Why are you replacing batteries, what are the symptoms? Are you using the Acer batteries or one of the clones?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • adhiraj29
    HI Billsey at the outset thanks for the reply. 

1. This is to inform you that the original battery that came with the laptop ran out of steam after 3yr 2 months. After that  i went for compatible battery(Clone) not the original battery from acer and the problem started  there. Within 2 months  the compatible battery ran out of steam and in the process i had to change  the compatible battery  for 3 times.

2.  Now a days  every laptop  runs smoothly  with compatible battery  and may be  the life span of compatible batteries are not as much as original battery. I have  also a 11 yr old hp laptop and it is running with compatible battery too but it is not creating any issue so far.

3.  According to the  Service centre ( Not Acer Service Centre) the power supply from motherboard  to  battery is failing to provide constant power supply and causing the issue and if they  go for repair the part then there is 98% chance that the laptop would become dead and if i go to change  the motherboard then there is no guaranty that it will not again create the same issue further.

Hope i have clarified. I am very confused please suggest me  the best way to get rid of my  this nagging issue.
  • billsey
    Three years isn't really too early for a battery to start to go bad, but it's very likely that it was just not well calibrated. Windows gradually corrupts calibration over time and it will often start to show less remaining time that it actually has. You will see the same thing with clones. To calibrate a battery you run the laptop on battery until it shuts down due to low charge. Then while leaving it off you fully charge it. Rinse and repeat... Each time you go through the cycle the Windows calibration gets a bit better, but usually a couple times through is good enough.
    In addition the battery keeps it's own calibration data on the battery itself, most batteries gradually corrupt that data just like the OS does. That is typically fixed by doing a battery reset. In your case I image the clone batteries are a bit buggier than the original one was, so they get corrupted faster. Your V3-574G is old enough that they weren't yet putting a battery reset switch on them, so the reset means you have to open it up. With it open and no charge connected you disconnect the battery from the motherboard. Then press and hold the power button for 15-30 seconds, that gets rid of the bulk of the residual charge on the MB. Leave it disconnected and go get a cup of coffee or your favorite beverage and wait 15-30 minutes. Plug the battery back in, put it back together and plug the charger in. Wait for a full charge indication and turn the laptop back on. That will clear the on-battery tables and should allow the battery to give good info to the system.
    Between the two procedures you should get back to the three-five years lifespan these Lithium-Ion batteries should get. Repeat them as often as you wish, though I typically do it about once a year on my systems... The clone batteries might need it more often, but they should still last longer than you are seeing.
    Oh, and the variable voltage the technician is seeing between the MB and battery is perfectly normal, the battery is smart enough to tell the MB what it wants and the charging circuit is designed to provide enough juice when charging but not too much. That extends the battery life overall.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • adhiraj29
    1. My friend  this is to remind you that 3 yrs  for original battery but the issue  started to happening  when i inserted  the compatible battery . After  inserting compatible battery  just within 2 months the battery ran out of steam and i had to replace the compatible battery for 3 times. Hope i have clarified.

2. Let us come straight to the point.  Do you mean if i  insert now the original battery from Acer then the problem will be resolved?  just guide me with simple words as i am not a techie.
  • billsey
    Likely, because it has been sitting so long, the original battery is no longer at a high enough charge to recharge for use. Try the battery reset and calibration on your current battery to see what it's condition really is.
  • adhiraj29
    edited July 2020
    1.I did the battery reset  for 3 compatible batteries but no result within 2 months it ran out of steam.

2.  Just tell me in simple word that should i go for original battery or not and will it resolve my issue or not just please reply in simple yes or no.

I am really now frustrated  with this nagging issue.
  • billsey
    edited July 2020
    I can't tell you for sure that an original battery will solve it, we don't yet know for sure what your cause is. Have you done the calibration? How are you determining that the batteries have "run out of steam"?
  • adhiraj29
    I think you are not getting my point that's why you are asking same question time and again. this is a common sense  without testing  the batteries  the company will surely not going to replace it and since the compatible batteries have been replaced for 3 times  that's why i have put my question before you.
  • billsey
    If you aren't going to take the steps to actually diagnose the problem then there's not much I can say. Sorry...
  • adhiraj29
    I think i have told you time and again that i have gone through the test and moreover the  battery manufacturer also  went for a test and came to the conclusion  that those compatible batteries ran out of steam but you are not ready to understand my point. Thanks
  • achiya96
    achiya96 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same issue with my Aspire E5-576G. Original battery worked for 3 years and replaced another genuine battery with 6 months of warranty from the authorized dealer.

After 2-3 months, the 2nd battery got damaged (It could not hold the charge for more than 30 minutes). Then I got replaced that battery using the warranty. After 1 1/2 months, same thing happened to the 3rd battery and got it replaced within the warranty period.

Now I'm out of warranty and the 4th battery also got damaged within 4 months. Now I'm using the laptop without an battery.

Have you found any solutions?

Now I'm thinking of buying a Thinkpad. I hate acer now!!

• billsey

Are you buying genuine batteries, or third party? Are you trying different vendors?