Switch 11 not getting past Acer splash screen - how can I install a new OS on it?

Options
Onticom
Onticom Member Posts: 24 Networker
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
This is a bit of a Hail Mary but given the massive surprise success I had earlier with my Switch 10, I have summoned up the courage to have a go at tackling my bricked Switch 11.

I had a protracted attempt at getting it to update to Windows 10 and at some point the guidance I received led to the current state of affairs - where the machine won't get past the Acer splashscreen.

Ideally I'd like to get it running on Windows 10 (and I'm happy to buy a new licence if that's what's needed) but ultimately, if I could get it running on any OS - eg Ubuntu Linux - that would be a massive result.

I've had a go at plugging in (to the SUB port in the side of the keyboard) a USB Windows installer I used on another old machine I got back up and running earlier in Lockdown but despite the USB lighting up (it has a read/write indicator) that stops fairly swiftly and the machine stays on the splashscreen. I have done some reading that suggests I need to plug in the installer USB to the tablet itself via a microUSB OTG cable - which I've just ordered.

I was just wondering what success (if any) anyone has had installing an OS via USB?

Thanks for any help.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options
    We're going to need to get slightly past the splash screen, into the BIOS, before it's going to be much of a good project. Using the OTG cable and a wired keyboard, can you click that F2 key fast enough and often enough to get the BIOS up? Once that is working we'll get into the next step, connecting a USB flash drive and the keyboard at the same time! (Guess what, if you don't have a USB hub handy, it's going to mean another trip to Amazon...)
    What we're going to do is set the BIOS up to allow for booting from a USB flash drive, then boot from the appropriate Windows install. Then, using a keyboard and mouse) we'll go through the process of wiping the old partitions off the drive and doing a clean Windows install. Note there the 'mouse'? Yup, another Amazon trip. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.