How To Delete Unwanted OS From UEFI BIOS?

ttttt
ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
I just migrated the Windows 10 from the original SSD (WD SN520 NVME PCIe 3.0 x2) to another PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD for the potential increase in performance, theoretically it should double the speed. I did it by restoring from an image file previously stored, but the process was not straight forward. Booted up from repair disk, had Windows 10 restored the image to the new x4 SSD. Windows 10 rebooted, but going to nowhere. It tried to boot from a Linux OS that I previously removed physically. Obviously, information for that Linux is still retained in he UEFI BIOS. For my Acer TC-885  UA91 and a Dell laptop, I could not see any option from BIOS that can delete unwanted UEFI OSs. However, one old PC ( AMI BIOS) has the option to delete unwanted UEFI OSs.

Get back to my SSD migration. Windows 10 tried to reboot to something that doesn't exist any more. The HDD Boot Order item in  Boot Option tab of the BIOS was dimmed out and nothing can be done there. I tried fresh Windows 10 installation and restore from image several times and all turned out to trying to boot from the non-existing Ubuntu Linux. Nothing showed for UEFI Windows Boot Manager. Later on I reset BIOS to defaults and I got the HDD Boot Order back.

Normally I set almost all my Linux distros in separate SSD and run under Legacy mode. Occasionally under the UEFI environment.I believe the UEFI BIOS causes more confusion and problems than help, when comparing with the Legacy environment. Now my question is, how can I delete unwanted OS info under the UEFI if I don't see such option under the BIOS? I am trying to delete this non-existing Ubuntu Linux from the UEFI, so far no luck. Anybody succeed in doing so?

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Assign a letter to the 100mb partition and then check if the linux boot appears here:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Assign a letter to the 100mb partition and then check if the linux boot appears here:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ttttt
    Dear egydiocoelho,

Thanks for your reply. This is exactly what I want. Don't need third party software to do it, that's good.
    The last time I used the DISKPART commend was like close to ten years ago. Somehow I feel myself dropped from an administrator to a pure user level.
    Kind of forgetting a lot of DOS commands, due to lack of usage.
       Even though I have to issue a series of commands, good to feel like taking some controls back, instead of relying on the software doing it without knowing exactly what's going on.
  • Now, type "delete ubuntu" and let us know if it worked.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ttttt
    Yes, I have deleted the Ubuntu from the EFI directory. In the future, I may try to get into the directory and try to rename the contents. Almost all Ubuntu based Linux versions (such as: MX Linux, Linux Mint, Ubuntu Studio, Kbuntu ...etc.) all are under the name Ubuntu in the UEFI directory, need not to say their different version numbers. During Linux installation I can only give label names when making partitions but cannot give a name for the EFI directory. That is just hard to tell which is which when there are two or more Linux versions are present. I need to change the names in the EFI directory to give each version a unique name to distinguish them.
    If not succeed, I may start a thread " How to rename OS from UEFI BIOS?"  Ha Ha...

Thanks Again.
  • Yes, but you must create a new thread

egydiocoelho Trailblazer