Acer Nitro 5 Battery - (Not a re-post) - Battery effectiveness or purchase new one?

Options
Tauridium
Tauridium Member Posts: 6 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hope everyone is well!

So I have a Nitro 5 and currently using the laptop basically as my work station which is placed on top of a laptop cooling extractor fan stand, running ports from all PC components plus a few additional ones i have added. Now my battery is becoming to the point where i take the charge of it and it will stay alive for around 40mins to an hour and a half depending on the tasks i perform on the laptop.

I read a post online where they said you can reboot the battery to its initial self by unhooking it then plugging it back in (Internal unhook) Then starting the process all over of charge then discharge a several times to improve the battery back to factory reset? 

Another question is it bad to always have the laptop plugged in with a power cable? - Not worried about the battery life whilst travelling or using it portable, wondering if it will cause damage to the laptop if its always plugged in?

Thanks Guys

Answers

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Tauridium said:
    Hope everyone is well!

So I have a Nitro 5 and currently using the laptop basically as my work station which is placed on top of a laptop cooling extractor fan stand, running ports from all PC components plus a few additional ones i have added. Now my battery is becoming to the point where i take the charge of it and it will stay alive for around 40mins to an hour and a half depending on the tasks i perform on the laptop.
    Download HWmonitor and check the wear level of the battery, it`s up to you if you are happy with the current life or you want to get new one
    I read a post online where they said you can reboot the battery to its initial self by unhooking it then plugging it back in (Internal unhook) Then starting the process all over of charge then discharge a several times to improve the battery back to factory reset? 
    Calibrating the battery will not make it new or act like new.
    Another question is it bad to always have the laptop plugged in with a power cable? - Not worried about the battery life whilst travelling or using it portable, wondering if it will cause damage to the laptop if its always plugged in?
    You can use the laptop on charger for the entire life of the battery (some cycles would be good thou)
    Thanks Guys

My comments in bold above.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    Tauridium said:
    Hope everyone is well!

Thanks Guys

1. I have had all my laptops the same way - pretty much always on power, and almost always connected to external monitor (except the rare times when i take it along when travelling).
    2. Battery life... i am not sure of your usage patterns - the loss of the type you mention normally happens only when you deep discharge a battery (all the way to 0). I have used my laptops off battery, and a few times it reached critical and shut down. But keep in mind... on mine, low battery level is set at 36% and critical when it auto hibernates is set at 12%. And after over 2 years of this current laptop, my laptop wear is well under 5%. Even my old laptop I had from 2012 until last year (used the same way) had a wear of about 40% at over 6-7 years of use.
    3. I plug in to power when i play/work when connected at home, and turn off power after i shut down laptop.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045