Predator G3-710 shorting out perihperals.

Options
TheIrishman01
TheIrishman01 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
I have shorted out 2 microphones (Blue Yeti) and one capture card (Elgato HD60s) when plugging another device into my PC. The latest device was my capture card. I switched my headset (Astro A40) to my PC and when I plugged it in my capture card stopped working. One microphone was shorted when plugging in a webcam (Razer Kiyo). I have multiple things hooked up via US; Keyboard and mouse, capture card and microphone ( both currently not working), USB hub, and external speakers (Logitech). I also run 3 monitors; 2 via HDMI and 1 via DPI. My suspicion is that the issue is caused by a faulty stock power supply or the fact that it just can't push enough juice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Does it pin down to a specific port or ports? USB power budgets are petty small, so just putting a device in wouldn't cause harm unless the port was shorted somehow. Power budget for USB 2.0 is 500mA, or 2.5W, for 3.0 1500mA, or 7.5W and as high as 5A, or 25W for the newer ports. None of those draws can really cause hard to a device, so somehow you are pulling more power than the port can provide if you have devices getting zapped.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.