How to remove the optical drive tray plastic front plate of a N50-600-EP?

scottmc
scottmc Member Posts: 22 Networker
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi Everyone.  

I would like to know how to safely remove the plastic front plate that attaches to the optical drive tray of the N50-600-EP.  

I am considering an upgrade to my current 500w PSU unit to something a bit more robust, but in order to do this, I will need to remove the optical drive that is in the way.  I have found directions for removing the drive and metal support plate, but I have not been able to find any directions for removing the plastic plate that actually attaches to the optical drive place itself.  While attached, this optical drive plate would seem to prevent removal of the front plate of the computer itself and prevent access to the necessary screws for removal of the optical drive and metal support tray.

My thanks to anyone who can help answer my question.

Best Answers

• Kno63
    Kno63 ACE Posts: 15,270 Trailblazer
    edited July 2020 Answer ✓
    Hi scottmc ,
    it's not necessary (and not possible before you have taken the drive out) to remove any plastic plate of the ODD.  You just have to release this plastic tab that fixes the optical drive at the inside of the PC case:

Then you can take out the complete drive (with front plate):

regards
    Jochen
    "There's more to the picture than meets the eye ..."
    Ich bin kein Acer Mitarbeiter!  :-)

• Kno63
    addition: Of course you have to plug off the SATA and the power cable from the drive before pushing the drive out! ;-)

• Kno63
    Answer ✓
    scottmc said:
    I see.  You have provided images of doing just that.  Thank you for answering my question.  Does the tray then just slide back and click into place when you are putting it back? 

Yes, it does! :-)

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    There are 3 plastic tabs on both sides of the front panel, you have to release them to remove it, anyway, remove the side panel after taking off the screw, then remove 4 screws as in my snip, release the tabs and follow the instructions in the snips, HTH.

• scottmc
    edited July 2020
    Thanks, but your response didn't answer my question.  I want to know how to take the front plastic panel off of the optical drive tray, not the computer panel.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    edited July 2020
    No problem, please check whether the post by @Kno63 helps you in this thread:https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/561248/acer-nitro-50-n50-600eb14-how-to-remove-plastic-front-panel
    You may have to pull the plastic panel, there may be some plastic tab needed to be released because the assembly instructions only shows pushing the plastic panel.

• Kno63
    Hi scottmc ,
    it's not necessary (and not possible before you have taken the drive out) to remove any plastic plate of the ODD.  You just have to release this plastic tab that fixes the optical drive at the inside of the PC case:

Then you can take out the complete drive (with front plate):

regards
    Jochen

• Kno63
    addition: Of course you have to plug off the SATA and the power cable from the drive before pushing the drive out! ;-)

• scottmc
    So are you saying that the ODD can then slide out forwards from the computer with the front panel still on the computer?  Because the ODD Tray panel is much too large to withdraw backward and out through the side open side.
  • scottmc
    I see.  You have provided images of doing just that.  Thank you for answering my question.  Does the tray then just slide back and click into place when you are putting it back? 
  • Kno63
    Answer ✓
    scottmc said:

Yes, it does! :-)