Why does the Nitro 5 have a lighted keyboard if the purpose is rendered useless?

Options
Cassiblu
Cassiblu Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
I’ve followed every step posted as well as instructed by Acer customer support, (over an hour on the call) and nothing successfully changed the ridiculous 30 second keyboard lighting feature. I thought a lighted keyboards main purpose was to allow us to use the laptop even when the room lighting was inadequate. We purchased 2 of the Acer Nitro 5 laptops and they offer no customer preference for this feature. You would not need a lit keyboard in normal lighting conditions. Seems foolish to have a light at all if it can not be used efficiently. I understand the purpose for the design, but not the lack of a customers option to disable it. We will be returning these laptops ASAP. 

Answers

• Samuel-Acer
    Samuel-Acer Moderator Posts: 687 Moderator
    Options
    Cassiblu said:
    I’ve followed every step posted as well as instructed by Acer customer support, (over an hour on the call) and nothing successfully changed the ridiculous 30 second keyboard lighting feature. I thought a lighted keyboards main purpose was to allow us to use the laptop even when the room lighting was inadequate. We purchased 2 of the Acer Nitro 5 laptops and they offer no customer preference for this feature. You would not need a lit keyboard in normal lighting conditions. Seems foolish to have a light at all if it can not be used efficiently. I understand the purpose for the design, but not the lack of a customers option to disable it. We will be returning these laptops ASAP. 
    Have you tried to update the BIOS and check. If not please update the BIOS to latest ver and then check in BIOS to see if you can change the backlight feature to Never. 

Note: Before installing BIOS please follow the instructions properly

Regards,
    Acer-Samuel
  • Cassiblu
    Options
    Yes. I called Acer support and did update and use BIOS with no success. I was told by 2 different agents that there was no other option to change the 30 second feature. They walked me through and I was able to change my keyboard timer to “disable” but the moment I clicked save & exit, it automatically reset to “enabled” every time. On my 3rd call to support, the agent Carlos gave me another option and it worked! He guided me through Nitrosense. I did tell him to please inform his coworkers about this simple option, as they clearly didn’t know. He saved Acer from losing a customer and having to refund the sale. 
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    This solution with changing the option in NitroSense is available here for a long time and simple forum search would have saved you all the pain and time waste... Nevertheless this is not how it should be as despite the fact that NitroSense has low level access to the HW via the BIOS, BIOS have to be the chief and not other way around.  You may raise a case that BIOS is not able to save settings and override NitroSense settings, they should research and fix this bug anyway.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• Cassiblu
    Options
    I searched for a solution for 2 day’s prior to calling support. That time saving option was not found. However, I did find several customers searching for a solution and complaining of the exact same issue. Clearly it isn’t being found I n a “simple” forum search. But thank you.