SB220Q Turning Itself Off and On Again?

Options
imudip
imudip Member Posts: 3 New User
My monitor keeps turning itself off and on again for no reason I can discern, and has been for about 2 months now.
It doesn't turn itself completely off, but the screen goes black for a few seconds, then shows the "Acer" logo, then goes black for a few more seconds before returning to normal display.

Here's a video I took of it happening:

It happens a lot during games like Overwatch and Valorant, sometimes turning off and on multiple times in a row, as many as 6 times before I get fed up and close the program or turn off the monitor completely.
It's on my Acer SB220Q monitor, plugged into an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050. I've never had this issue with my second monitor, a Dell E177FP, which used to be my main monitor.

I've had the Dell monitor for about 3 years or so? Maybe longer. I bought the Acer monitor a year or less than a year ago, and this issue has only been happening the past few months. Maybe I messed something up when I moved to my new apartment in November?

I've updated my drivers, restarted my PC multiple times, changed both the HDMI cord and power supply cord. I don't know what else to do; it's getting really frustrating.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    Options

That seems that its your computer rebooting and its not your SB220Q monitor turning off, what model computer have you got the SB220Q hooked up to? Give us more details and specs of your computer system, as there are allot of variables in diagnosing problems like yours.

• imudip
    Options
    StevenGen said:

That seems that its your computer rebooting and its not your SB220Q monitor turning off, what model computer have you got the SB220Q hooked up to? Give us more details and specs of your computer system, as there are allot of variables in diagnosing problems like yours.

I don't think it's my PC rebooting...
    It only happens on my Acer monitor, my other monitor is just fine during the same time this happens.

Here is my PC: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04490020
    The only modifications I've made is adding the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 GPU, a Corsair RM 650x Gold Certified PSU, and a Kingston 120GB A400 SATA 3 SSD.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    No, not computer rebooting, the monitor is rebooting. It could be a loose power cable, loose video cable or an overheating issue. I think the last is unlikely since the reboot is fast enough that it wouldn't have time to cool down.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • imudip
    edited July 2020
    Options
    billsey said:
    No, not computer rebooting, the monitor is rebooting. It could be a loose power cable, loose video cable or an overheating issue. I think the last is unlikely since the reboot is fast enough that it wouldn't have time to cool down.

It's not a loose cable, that's one of the first things I checked. I even replaced both the power and video cables just in case. I also checked to make sure my GPU was firmly in place in the motherboard, and it was.
    I thought it might be overheating, but it seems unlikely. I thought maybe even the power brick itself might be overheating, but even with a fan directly at the brick, the issue kept happening.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    I still lean toward something loose. If the cables and power are in tightly then it might be something internal...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ravnm
    ravnm Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I'm having the same issue right now. The computer doesn't turn off, I can still hear in-game noises or videos. But, randomly during valorant or genshin, the monitors turn off, show the hdmi/DP, and then say no signal. At least once or twice it'd turn back on immediately but aside from that, I have to turn off my computer and turn it back on because it won't let me just turn the monitors themselves on.