Help needed on Acer Spin 1 11-33 4 Gb/64 EMMC Win update that went sideways

Options
Islandboy552
Islandboy552 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
This week my Acer Spin 1 111-33 4Gb/64Gb EMMC prompted to update from 1909 to 2004. Shortly after starting it advised a USB drive was needed as there was not enough disk space. I complied and it completed it's download and began installing. It was taking it's time presumably because of working from the USB as well. I kept coming back to it to see this loop from 'Attempting to recover installation to Undoing changes to the Acer logo screen followed by the loading balls. After a number of hours (20) in a call to Microsoft they suggested we use on my other machine the Windows creation tool to make a new file. When we tried that I got the message "Error" Please insert USB media and press OK". It wouldn't recognize the USB drive anymore. So they said call Acer as it is a problem with Bios. I called and they wouldn't help as it was 1 week off of warranty. Sigh! So I figured out from here and elsewhere how to access Bios. But it is important to note I do not have a "legacy" option to [UEFI], inserting a USB drive does not show up in the Boot priority order, I only have Windows Boot manager. You can see the info on each of the screens from Information, to Main to Security. I can't find any way to have the Bios recognize a USB drive with the new Windows install on it. HELP PLEASE!

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Let us know as you progress.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Options
    OK, there are a couple of different issues going on. One is that the "External Storage Media" actually needs to be an SD card, not a USB drive. The other could be that the Windows install flash drive you created might not have been setup for a UEFI boot. It needs to be GPT, not MBR.
    If it's booting into the update recovery and asking for the external storage still try putting a SD card in and letting ti continue. If that fails we are likely looking at a reinstall of Windows so we'll want to look at that install flash dive you created...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Islandboy552
    Options
    billsey said:
    OK, there are a couple of different issues going on. One is that the "External Storage Media" actually needs to be an SD card, not a USB drive. The other could be that the Windows install flash drive you created might not have been setup for a UEFI boot. It needs to be GPT, not MBR.
    If it's booting into the update recovery and asking for the external storage still try putting a SD card in and letting ti continue. If that fails we are likely looking at a reinstall of Windows so we'll want to look at that install flash dive you created...
    That makes some sense regarding the SD card. I'll try putting the Windows install back onto the SD card and give that a try. I'll let you know. Thanks very much!
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
  • Islandboy552
    Options
    billsey said:
    I will, I haven't had a chance to get back at it but will as soon as possible.
  • Islandboy552
    Options
    billsey said:
    OK, Here's where I am at. Microsoft took command of my alternate laptop installed Media Creation tool and dropped a windows installation file onto a USB drive that they named DVD Drive F: ESD-ISO. See an attached photo of the directory.
    I have taken a micro-sd card and copied the contents to it, and, as you suggested in your first comments I tried starting the laptop up. It gave me the ACER logo, the loading windows then the quick white rectangle flash box and the error message about installing the external media drive. I tried it with the SD card in to begin with and inserting the sd card at the prompt and it didn't recognize it.
    So I'm hoping you can walk me through what steps I should take to create this USB drive or another USB drive. I do have Rufus 3.11 but I do not have any experience with it so I am definitely a newbie at this part.
  • billsey
    Options
    That USB drive is an install image for Windows, not extra storage for Windows Update. You would use that drive to reinstall Windows completely, leaving you with a working system bu none of your personal data. If instead you want to just do the big Windows update and leave all your personal data intact you need to first clear as much as you can off your C: drive and then put a SD card in that has enough space free to handle the temporary files Windows Update uses to install the new version. Your previous attempts were to do the update without the needed extra storage SD card. The whole SD/USB thing is confusing, even to some technicians...
    So... Which do you want to try first? If it's the full reset using the USB drive you likely should do a backup of your files first. Do you have apps installed that you use? If so you should make a list so they can be reinstalled afterwards. If you want to try to update again make sure there's as much as possible free on C:. Use Disk Clean to clear off temporary data, and use the clean system files option to make sure there's nothing in the SoftwareDistribution folder that usually have images of all the older updates. Once that's cleaned up as much as possible (how much free space is there now?) put the SD card in and make sure there's 16GB or so free on it. Then go through the same procedure you did before, where Windows Update grabs 2004 and installs it over the existing version.
  • Islandboy552
    Options
    billsey said:
    I need to let everyone know that I was able to get the Spin 111-33 up and running great last evening. The key was creating the windows image on a USB drive formatted using Rufus in UEFI mode. It was finally a rainy day here and with nothing else to do I began. I am sending this now using that computer. Thanks to Billsey, Aphanic, and all others that responded with tips that were excellent.