Acer (Google) Chromebook 15 (CB3-532) ......still running

Options
xttwo2
xttwo2 Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
A while ago; I posted questions for help regarding things like error system messages when I installed an app that was apparently faulty or one that's more an Android cellphone app than a laptop Chromebook app. The other instance was an unstable on-screen cursor that permanently disappeared and wouldn't reappear when typing at times. Those problems have mysteriously gone away; and I find myself still using my Chromebook. I believe in Occam's Razor. The simplest solution being the most likely. Updates. With enough of them; "the right one" fixed the issue. Sending troubleshooting messages to Google didn't hurt either. And now all is well. During this pandemic; I received almost $2500 in unemployment money I used to repay my credit cards; I wanted to take some and buy a new laptop (most likely a Lenovo I had my eye on) even though my Acer still worked from a -relatively speaking- perspective. Those problems I had were annoying to deal with; but it wasn't like my laptop was unusable in anyway. My reward for being faithful and sticking it out is a laptop that still works perfectly after having bought it three years ago (2017).  

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Good deal! :) Don't you love it when something just works...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Good deal! :) Don't you love it when something just works...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rjmjr2020
    rjmjr2020 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have the same exact machine and I feel like in the exact 'same boat" as you. It works functionally for (day to day) but lags, freezes, and often sends "UI System Not Responding"????? Hoping someone from the community can "Help Me" fix the error message.

Also, NEED HELP from the community on MEMORY INCREASE. Some articles say YES and some say NO as far as memory INCREASE???? Can anyone offer me recommendations on Increasing SPPED and MEMORY?????

Thank You  
  • xttwo2
    xttwo2 Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options
    Just about every laptop today is exactly like a cellphone. Everything is hardwired in tight. When you buy it; you buy it; preinstalled with everything the manufacturer wants you to have.  Nothing more. Nothing less. If you're unsatisfied; buy another one. Preferably newer and more expensive than what you currently have. The old-school days of cracking it open like and adding in more memory cards is a no-go. To say manufacturers make their laptop boards ridiculously cryptically unique is an understatement. It's funny.  Today's luxury sports car engines are encased. Whereas only a licensed brand-name repair technician will have the tools to both troubleshoot; (and/or upgrade) as well as repair.   Laptops are no different. Only rather than developing a shell casing you can't crack open; they just make the board so so unique with the circuitry pin design such; any wrong move or placement of a chip causes permanent damage. Short of sending a troubleshooting message to Google through your laptop's system mechanisms; I'd say your only other avenue without buying a new laptop is finding something at the Google App store that can clean the hard drive. But even that is risky. Good Luck. 
  • billsey
    Options
    @rjmjr2020 the CB3-532 models have their memory soldered to the motherboard, so aren't expandable. That is part of the effort to make them thin and light, memory sockets add to the thickness and weight...