Aspire E1-572G just won't charge

merendo07
merendo07 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi everyone.

I know this question has been asked many times before but none of the solutions I came across worked for me, so here it is yet again. A friends' laptop, an Aspire E1-572G, had a completely dead battery - ok, that happens when you run it flat and then let it sit for months. I tried replacing it with a cheap battery off eBay, with no luck. I contacted the seller and they sent me another one, no change. I then got one off a reputable electronics retailer here in Germany, again, no change. Its a third battery battery of course. Genuine batteries don't really seem to be available anymore.

Windows gives me the dreaded "plugged in, not charging" message. I tried letting the laptop sit there, powered off, with the power supply plugged in, for well over 48 hours, nothing. It did initially run on each of the batteries I had put in until it was flat but it refused to charge any of them. The red/orange charging LED (battery icon with a lightning bolt across) keeps flashing away merrily, whether the laptop is powered up (Windows is running) or not.

I tried holding down the power button for 10+ seconds with the battery removed, inserted, plugged in or not. I ran a BIOS update, it made no difference.

Any suggestions on what else I could try?

Thanks so much!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,463 Trailblazer
    With a multimeter, measure the open circuit voltage between the charger plug's outer ring & center connectors. Should be about 19Voc DC. Manipulate the AC and DC cables to make sure there are no interruptions to this voltage. A flashing orange charger LED means either a faulty battery internal charge controller or worse, a mainboard issue.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• merendo07
    merendo07 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Sorry this took a while. I have measured the power supply voltage with no load, it came in at 19.52V. Wiggling the cable didn't make a difference, and optically, it looks in perfect condition. The laptop does work when connected to the mains, so the power supply itself can't really be the problem, can it?