Nitro 5 2019 (AN515-54) stuck with black screen when rebooting

Options
drdr
drdr Member Posts: 20 Networker
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Description of the problem: when I ask Windows 10 to reboot, it goes to the blue screen with the rotating circle saying "rebooting" and after a few seconds the screen turns black, the keyboard lights come up and nothing happens. It stays there for 10 minutes and nothing happens. I need to manually press the power button to shut it down and turn it on again.

On the other hand, shutting down the computer works fine and suspending works fine as well. I only have issues rebooting.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be great!

(PS: let me know if you know a way to only search this forum inside of Nitro subjects. I only found a way to search all forums)

Best Answer

• drdr
    edited July 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Finally fixed it. Went into the BIOS (press F2 repeatedly during boot), second tab (called "main"), press "ctrl+s", change "SATA MODE" to "AHCI".

Bonus points: this will also enable Linux to recognize the drives, otherwise it wouldn't be possible. 

Hope this is useful to anyone else. 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does the same problem occur when disabling fastboot and secureboot in the bios? Also, does the same problem occur when disabling fast startup in windows power options?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • drdr
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Disabling fast boot on the bios and fast startup on windows had no effect.

Secureboot is greyed out.

Rebooting from the BIOS is fine. Rebooting from Windows is not.

I'm running the latest BIOS.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    To disable secureboot it is necessary to create a password on the setsupervisorpassword. Also, is the image displayed on an external hdmi monitor?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • drdr
    Options
    I'm using an external monitor. When turning on the computer, the BIOS and Acer logo show on the laptop monitor. The windows logon screen appears on the external monitor.

This does seem to be Windows related, otherwise I think it wouldn't reboot properly from BIOS. Do you still want me to mess with secure boot?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What happens when you press fn + f5 or fn+f6?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• drdr
    edited July 2020
    Options
    The Intel drivers are installed if that's what you're asking. When I press those keys it allows me to choose between the screens I want to have. I'm currently only using the external one.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! But when you select the laptop display, does the image appear?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• drdr
    Options
    All the display modes work 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    This does seem to be Windows related, otherwise I think it wouldn't reboot properly from BIOS. Do you still want me to mess with secure boot?

Try disabling secureboot by creating a password on setsupervisorpassword.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• drdr
    edited July 2020
    Options
    All the display modes work. I just tried to reboot via a Linux Live CD and it works perfectly so this is not BIOS setting related

Also, the computer will not reboot from Windows safe mode 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What happens when you disable sleep, hibernation and fast startup in the power options, even if you have just disabled fast startup previously?
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10  Tutorials

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• drdr
    Options
    Disabling secure boot didn't work. Messing with those options didn't help as well
  • drdr
    edited July 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Finally fixed it. Went into the BIOS (press F2 repeatedly during boot), second tab (called "main"), press "ctrl+s", change "SATA MODE" to "AHCI".

Bonus points: this will also enable Linux to recognize the drives, otherwise it wouldn't be possible. 

Hope this is useful to anyone else. 
  • JigarPatel
    JigarPatel Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    BIOS (press F2 repeatedly during boot), second tab (called "main"), press "ctrl+s", change "SATA MODE" to "AHCI".
    Tried all answer but not working.

Same issue in my acer nitro 5 AN-515-54