Low volume on switch 5 SW512-52P

Fatsoboy
Fatsoboy Member Posts: 2 New User
edited June 2021 in Switch Series
Hi

I recently bought a switch 5. The model number is SW512-52P.
My problem is that the sound is very low and hardly audible even from 3-4 feet away. I tried searching here and generally on Google and tried the things like reinstalling drivers, switching off enhancements etc. but it hasn't helped. The decibel level doesn't go above 65-66 when I measure through the decibel x app on the iPhone when playing on YouTube and holding the phone just 2 inches away from the speaker. And ya, I've checked that system volume, YouTube volume are both set at highest.
Is this normal for this model?

//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    I find that it's normal for most youtube, vimeo or similar videos, not the switch. Most audios are so low or of poor quality that I must use a headset or buds to listen/understand and sometimes that doesn't even help. Very few web videos seem to be good enough to for a laptop's internal speakers even with volume levels set to max on both the machine and the video sliders. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Fatsoboy
    Fatsoboy Member Posts: 2 New User
    JackE said:
    I find that it's normal for most youtube, vimeo or similar videos, not the switch. Most audios are so low or of poor quality that I must use a headset or buds to listen/understand and sometimes that doesn't even help. Very few web videos seem to be good enough to for a laptop's internal speakers even with volume levels set to max on both the machine and the video sliders. Jack E/NJ
    I somehow haven’t had such problems on my other laptops. I use YouTube/ Netflix/ google meet regularly On them and never felt the need for headphones till now.
    with most of the time being spent on video calls these days, wearing a headphone is really uncomfortable and makes this laptop just a waste of money for me. 
    I hope acer is listening!!

PS: what do you suggest I test it with to figure out if it’s a problem with my particular laptop , or this model in general, or the source of the audio 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>>I recently bought a switch 5.>>>

Do you still have the other laptops so you compare audio with identical content? I have ACER SwitchAlpha, Aspire3 and HPg7 laptops. Their audio output behaviors are virtually identical for identical content.  A few videos are  quite good. But most are quite bad. For streaming movies from netflix, AZ etc, I can only watch by HDMI out to external  dumb TV with its own volume controls & much bigger screen so no problems.

Due to space and thermal constraints in most newer reasonably-sized laptops, audio amps are a big compromise with little more than pre-amp outputs to little more than piezo size tweeters. Some bigger heavier clumsier entertainment-game style laptops with 17+" screens with lid mount speakers are better but still can't compare with what's possible with even a modest-size desktop.  The other option are BT active speakers which are quite cheap and portable these days.

About all I can suggest If your  SW5 compares unfavorably/unacceptably with your  other laptops for identical content, quickly return it to the vendor/seller as not meeting your requirements for an exchange on another laptop brand/model. Do this ASAP before the seller's RMA policy period expires. Usually only a few weeks. Warranty service will take longer and IMO probably won't find anything wrong. Sorry I can't be more optimistic on reasonably-sized/priced laptops.

Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ

• cje0
    cje0 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have had the same problem. Then a windows update fixed the problem. Later Cortana was activated and lowered the volume and even though every setting has it at max, it is still very quiet. Sometimes Cortana will start randomly and boost the volume for a second.
    CHecked all drivers... all up to date.