Acer Aspire 7 ubuntu install issue - while installing ubuntu it does not detect ssd.

Options
Kaushik92
Kaushik92 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in Aspire Laptops
I have Acre Aspire 7 with SSD with window 10.  I am trying to intstall ubuntu but while installing ubuntu it does not detect ssd. How can i proceed further?
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• DanishShaikh
    DanishShaikh Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi there!
    I have also recently purchased Acer Aspire 7(i5 9 gen, 512 ssd, 8gb ram) and I was also trying to install Ubuntu 20.4(dual boot) on my laptop but unfortunately Acer Aspire 7 comes with a Intel Rapid Storage Technology which is not supported by Ubuntu. So whenever you try to install Ubuntu it will show that "Please disable Intel RST". Now if you are ok with disabling Intel RST and enable AHCI then follow the below steps:

Windows 10 + Ubuntu(20.4)LTS Dual Boot Installation Guide:
    1. Download Ubuntu from the official website and burn it to a usb
    2. Open regedit and alter the below value
      - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorAVC [Start: 0] -> Start is the key which you have to change and 0 is the value.
      - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorAVC\StartOverride [0: 0]
      - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV [Start: 0]
      - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV\StartOverride [0: 0]
      - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci [Start: 0]
      - HHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\StartOverride [0: 0]
    3. Now open cmd as admin and type this command: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
    4. Restart your computer and press F2 to go into BIOS
    5. Once you are into BIOS go to Main tab(2 tab from left) and press Ctrl+S
    6. After this a Sata option will be available(RST without RAID) select that and change that to AHCI.
    7. Restart your computer it should open in safe mode.
    8. Once you are in safe mode open the cmd as admin and type this command: bcdedit /deleteValue {current} safeboot
    9. Now restart your computer and at this stage you laltop is using AHCI and not intel Rapid Storage Technology

Install Ubuntu from the usb drive as you would normally install

Woohhoo! Now you have both Windows 10 and Ubuntu on dual boot on your system.
    Just found out that the Step 2 is not required. DO NOT FOLLOW STEP 2.

Answers

• DanishShaikh

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi there!
    I have also recently purchased Acer Aspire 7(i5 9 gen, 512 ssd, 8gb ram) and I was also trying to install Ubuntu 20.4(dual boot) on my laptop but unfortunately Acer Aspire 7 comes with a Intel Rapid Storage Technology which is not supported by Ubuntu. So whenever you try to install Ubuntu it will show that "Please disable Intel RST". Now if you are ok with disabling Intel RST and enable AHCI then follow the below steps:

- 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorAVC [Start: 0] -> Start is the key which you have to change and 0 is the value.
      - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorAVC\StartOverride [0: 0]
      - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV\StartOverride [0: 0]
      - HHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\StartOverride [0: 0]
    3. Now open cmd as admin and type this command: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
    6. After this a Sata option will be available(RST without RAID) select that and change that to 
    AHCI.
    8. Once you are in safe mode open the 
    cmd as admin and type this command: bcdedit /deleteValue {current} safeboot
    9. Now restart your computer and at this stage you laltop is using AHCI and not intel Rapid Storage Technology

• mohit_mangal
    mohit_mangal Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I also purchased same laptop.
    Can you please answer two questions @DanishShaikh
    1. Will my data in windows be swept off ( in that case I assume some boot problems will pop up and i will have to reset the pc) ?
    2 .after doing as you told, can I switch back to RST with having both the OS running perfectly?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @kaushik92 @DanishShaikh @mohit_mangal Do not make this change using regedit. You should make this change to sata mode by performing the following procedure:a) disable wirelees and then uninstall the optane memory program and intel rapid storage. Then restart windows;b) press windows + r and type msconfig. Go to system boot and activate safe boot. Then restart windows again;c) then, access the bios, go to the MAIN tab, press ctrl + s and change the sata mode to AHCI.
    With safe boot enabled, the blue screen on windows will not occur.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • DanishShaikh

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi there!

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorAVC [Start: 0] -> Start is the key which you have to change and 0 is the value.
    6. After this a Sata option will be available(RST without RAID) select that and change that to AHCI.
    8. Once you are in safe mode open the cmd as admin and type this command: bcdedit /deleteValue {current} safeboot

• DanishShaikh

Tinkerer

Options
    I also purchased same laptop.
    Can you please answer two questions @DanishShaikh
    1. Will my data in windows be swept off ( in that case I assume some boot problems will pop up and i will have to reset the pc) ?
    2 .after doing as you told, can I switch back to RST with having both the OS running perfectly?
    1. None of your data will be wiped. I am using both the os and none of my data has been deleted or anything.
    2. No. Ubuntu doesn't support RST so if you revert back then Windows will work but Ubuntu won't. So maybe in future if you decide to delete Ubuntu you can revert back to RST with WIndows.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @DanishShaikh There was a user in the linux community, who was able to successfully activate rst with optane mode on ubuntu. In addition, the models of laptops with endless installed, are configured with the rst with optane mode configured in the bios. However, the ideal is to actually install ubuntu in dual boot with windows 10, in ahci mode.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Kaushik92
    Kaushik92 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    @DanishShaikh Thank you i have installed ubuntu 18.04 successfully using your steps. Now, there is No wifi Adapter Found issue. my wifi not working in ubuntu 18.04 you have any proper solution?

Thanks in advance :)
  • DanishShaikh

Tinkerer

Options
    Kaushik92 said:
    @DanishShaikh Thank you i have installed ubuntu 18.04 successfully using your steps. Now, there is No wifi Adapter Found issue. my wifi not working in ubuntu 18.04 you have any proper solution?

Thanks in advance :)
    It seems like you are missing your wifi driver. Your issue have already been answered on some forum you can check that out.
    Note: I am using latest Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.
  • anubhav_saraf
    anubhav_saraf Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    @DanishShaikh Will disabling Intel RST and switching to AHCI have affect on my chipset or battery performance or longevity of my laptop? How far is it safe to do this switching?

Can any time in the future it be reverted back?
  • DanishShaikh

Tinkerer

Options
    @DanishShaikh Will disabling Intel RST and switching to AHCI have affect on my chipset or battery performance or longevity of my laptop? How far is it safe to do this switching?

Can any time in the future it be reverted back?
    I don't think so it will affect your chipset or any other thing and yes you can always revert back to Intel RST whenever you want.

source: <i><a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Rapid_Storage_Technology" title="Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Rapid_Storage_Technology">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Rapid_Storage_Technology</a>&nbsp;(Read this for more info)</i>
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @anubhav_saraf You can change sata mode. However, you must first enable safe boot on windows.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• anubhav_saraf
    Options
    After following certain instructions on the net I have dual booted Ubuntu along side Windows 10.The article I followed was:
    The steps were:
    ( 0) Pre-shrink Windows partition to desired unallocated space for Linux installation. Shrink it a lot if you want
    ( 1) Make bootable GPT/FAT32(default) stick from the Linux installation iso with Rufus, a freeware download.
    ( 2) Set BIOS supervisor password(SECURITY), disable secure boot(BOOT)& enable F12 Windows boot mgr (MAIN). Save BIOS settings & exit. May not be needed with some Linux installations like Mint.
    ( 3) Shutdown & insert bootable Linux stick
    ( 4) Turn back on while immediately tapping F12. Select Linux stick to run.
    ( 5) Preferrably select a default Linux install option
    ( 6) Follow on-screen instructions to install alongside Windows.
    ( 7) Let Linux automatically set & resize partitions for Linux & its swap. Adjust for more or less space only if absolutely necessary.
    ( 8) Shutdown & remove Linux stick.
    ( 9) Turn back on while tapping F2.
    (10) Re-enable secure boot(BOOT) & select UEFI file as trusted(MAIN). Select HDD0, SSD0 or eMMC0, then <EFI>, then <ubuntu>, then grubx64.efi the UEFI file. Enter grubx64 in the space provided if selecting it doesn't automatically enter it. Save BIOS setting and exit.
    (11) Boot into Windows. Then shutdown again.
    (12) Turn back on while tapping F12.

Now, when I open the bootmenu by pressing F12, I get 3 options(in given sequence)
    1)<ubuntu>  
    2)Windows Boot Manager
    3)grubx64

Is this fine if I want to boot generally into Ubuntu(1st priority) and sometimes Windows(2nd priority)?

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I suggest that you put ubuntu first at boot. That way, you can choose in grub if you want to boot with linux or windows. Also, I suggest that you disable fast startup in the windows power options.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• anubhav_saraf
    Options
    @egydiocoelho @DanishShaikh
    I am unable to understand the difference between grub and ubuntu. It would be great if you coild explain the basic difference.
    And why according to you shoud I disable fast startup?
    Thanx in advance 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited July 2020
    Options
    check here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/347203/what-exactly-is-grub
    Why the fast startup usually interferes with the system startup.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Vaageesh
    Vaageesh Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi there!

I have dual boot the Acer aspire 7(comes with 512ssd) with Ubuntu 20.04.1 , Ubuntu got installed with 100gb space(after changing SATA MODE to AHIC from Optane without RAID in BIOS).afterwards, when I tried switching to windows while booting, I got BSOD error., Showing it will restart itself for troubleshooting.When it restarted, I choose Advance options --> Troubleshoot --> Command prompt 

After command prompt got opened in blue screen, I tried this command 

bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal

And then 

bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot

This is sucessful.

But then when I tried boot windows 10 again, it not even showing troubleshooting windows , system got stucck at " preparing for Automatic repair" and its going infinite loop which is is suspended by long pressing power button and then going to Ubuntu now.

Ubuntu is totally working now. but windows is not working for changing that AHIC is SATA mode in Main tab of BIOS.

I didn't understand what i have done wrong here.please help me.

How to revert that option back to make windows 10 work fine , along side Ubuntu working as dual OS??

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @Vaageesh activate sata mode again and access windows. Then do this:a) press windows + r and type msconfig. Go to system startup and activate safeboot and restart windows to enter safeboot;b) then, restart windows again and access the bios. Go to the main tab, press ctrl + s and change the sata mode to ahci.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Piyush25
    Piyush25 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi there!

Can you tell the process to revert back to all Windows too? Much appreciated.
    Please make a YouTube video too for dual boot on acer Aspire 7. Many are in need of this.
  • Rooks
    Rooks Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello...I just tried to dual boot windows 10 with linux.. After some days windows showed me a boot error so I I tried to revert back the sata mode to 'rst without raid'  option.. But idk why in bios thier is no rst option in sata mode now
    There are only three options:
    -optane with raid
    -Optain withoud raid 
    -Ahci

Can anyone explain me why it is happening? And how to set sata mode to 'rst without raid' (like previous).. 
    Thank you in advance friend
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @Rooks You must press CTRL + S on the MAIN tab of the BIOS.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer