What should I do with my 28 year old Acer

Gurt
Gurt Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
sorry for the mess just got done moving. I saw Toyota had a guy that had a truck with over a million miles on it and Toyota took it to "study it". Before you ask yes it has all original parts and i didn't know if Acer did the same thing

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Is it a still working computer? I suppose you will not run any program off this computer. My suggestion is to clean it and wrap it up with plastic bags. Wait another 20 years and sell it as antique at E-bay, or donate it to a museum.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Yeah, if you have a local computer museum they might like it. My oldest still running computer here at home is from 1985, so 35 years old now (Commodore Amiga 1000). My oldest computers running Windows 10 are from 2006, so only 14 years old. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    Speaking of old PCs. I didn't have room for all my old PCs. Back in that Commordore era, there was one "World's first computer under $100" called the Sinclair. The manufacturer send you all the parts. I remember I had to solder all those CPU pins, parts and connectors. The sense of accomplishment was great after really building the computer by soldering. The concept was good but that Sinclair computer just overheated easily and freeze, that made it practically not functional.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Yeah, prior to that was the Altair 8800 system. The first really viable pre-built was the TRS-80, then the Commodore Vic20 and finally the C=64...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    Dear Billsey, 

Yes, the Altair system was the world's first PC. Too bad I didn't get a chance to see the real computer. The Radio Shack TRS-80 got an early start, but it was such a one big piece equipment, very heavy! There were so many types of PCs at that time. I used to have a Texas Instrument TI-99/4A. I loved it. I just hooked it to the TV, no monitor needed. Could insert game cartridges to the console slot  and play the game on TV. For storage: Just use the regular cassette player / recorder. You could hear your data Ba...Vee..Wa...Da..... People with sharp hearing and training could probably identify the data. 
    That kind of data interface was even used by  NASA when uplinked to he Space Shuttle for instructions and commands.

IBM PC and IBM PC/XT came out and defeated all other PCs. All PCs then had to be IBM PC compatible, otherwise you will have no market. Acer  started at around that time.