Can't install Linux distro on my Aspire ES1-533-C2YZ

emircnkr196
emircnkr196 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2022 in Aspire Laptops
Hi! I tried to install Manjaro Linux 20.0.1 on my Aspire ES1-533-C2YZ. But I can't install it on my PC. What should I do?
[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and issue detail]

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning emircnkr196 !

The question is why the kernel and grub are incompatible with this Bios base.
    but it is perfectly possible to install.
    Take a look here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/862946/unable-to-install-ubuntu-on-acer-aspire-es1-533

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• emircnkr196
    emircnkr196 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited July 2020
    MaClane said:
    Good Morning emircnkr196 !

The question is why the kernel and grub are incompatible with this Bios base.
    but it is perfectly possible to install.
    Take a look here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/862946/unable-to-install-ubuntu-on-acer-aspire-es1-533

Thanx! But I've already solved problem and I reinstalled GRUB. It's working.
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Great!
    Needing something, just post!
    Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• linyerleo
    linyerleo Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi!

I had the same problem. I believe I'm the first one on the entire internet that will document the process to be able to install another linux distribution rather than a Debian-Based one in this particular (oh god it is particular) model. Just one thing: I will never buy another Acer model again. This is just a favor to the community. Its ridiculous how they don't even care to make a proper BIOS/UEFI solution.

To make things clear:
    • Sadly, this is a solution just with GRUB2. It will solve 95% of your problems but if your intention is to NOT use GRUB2, this solution may not be exactly what you need.
    • I DO NOT know what would happen if you already have Windows installed. This is a clean Manjaro Linux installation.
    • YOU WILL NEED INTERNET CONNECTED.
    • My UEFI/BIOS version is 1.19

Indeed, the 2 main problems that left out ALL automated installers on the distributions are:
    1. NRAM: When bootloaders install al the stuff they need to be able to be called by the UEFI system, they tend to write in the NRAM. In this model of Acer, accessing to NRAM through efibootmgr (Calamares and Ubiquity use this) FREEZE the system because the installers do it automatically. We need to NOT write in NRAM.
    2. boot file location and name: Almost all UEFI/BIOS systems search for some specific files on a predetermined direction... yet.. our little Acer model DO NOT. It's... you know.. special. You will understand this later.

So... I downloaded Manjaro and of course y got the freeze at the moment of the installation of the bootloader. I thought there may be a way to install Manjaro WITHOUT the bootleader, just like the well known Debian-Ubuntu version of the problem. Well, it's not very clear but Calamares installer make things difficult, so my searches just got nothing.

To the solution.

1)

I boot into the live usb of Manjaro, went to gparted (sudo gparted in terminal) and made the following partitions:

• /dev/sda1    | fat32 |    | boot, esp |    |512mb|
    • /dev/sda2    | ext4  |    |                 |    | 120gb|
    • /dev/sda3    | ext4  |    |                 |    | 95gb|
    • /dev/sda4    | swap |   |                 |     | 8gb   |

1. /dev/sda1 is the EFI partition, its filesystem is fat32, boot and esp are flags and 512MB is the size. YOU MUST HAVE THIS EXACTLY AS YOU SEE
    2. /dev/sda2 is my / partition. The place where the Manjaro System will go. You just need to be precise in the /dev/sda1 partition.
    /dev/sda3 and /dev/sda4 are optional. The first one is my /home partition and the second one is my swap partition. In the process they are not important.

2)

Open the Calamares Installer and select the "manual partition" option. Here, we just need to tell Calamares in which partitions we will install the totality of the system. AGAIN, for the EFI partition you MUST follow my steps:
    1. Edit the sda1 EFI partition and put the mount in /boot/efi.
    2. Put the boot flag and ONLY the boot flag.
    For the rest of the partitions just realte the mount points i.e /root and /home to sda2 and sda3, etc. DO NOT edit partitions INSIDE CALAMARES.

Follow all the steps of Calamares installer (creation of the user, password, office suite, etc) and install...

3)

Oh no... installation froze again at the moment to install the bootloader.

YES. We need that.

• Reboot the computer (with the poweroff button, yes. This is Acer ES1 533).
    • Boot into the live usb again.
    Here we are going to make some magic. Open the terminal and let's forze this hardware to embrace Linux.

Type
    sudo su
    Mount the root partition first, in my case
    mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
    Make a new directory (you may already have this created but just in case)
    sudo mkdir /mnt/boot/efi
    Mount our problematic EFI partition. In my case, sda1
    sudo mount /dev/<b>sda1</b> /mnt/boot/efi
    Just type those commands, you can find what they do on Arch Wiki. Not big deal, really. The last one its SUPER IMPORTANT
    mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
    mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
    mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount -t devpts pts /mnt/dev/pts/
    chroot /mnt
    Now, lets update the databases of Manjaro. We need to install some things. We DO NOT need to upgrade ALL the system's packages.
    sudo pacman -Syu
    Install the following packages
    sudo pacman -S mtools os-prober
    Make a new directory (you may already have this created but just in case) (this is kind of a repetition of a prior step)
    sudo mkdir /boot/efi
    NOW... the moment of true. We will install grub AGAIN.. it will not froze, relax.This is a custom command elaborated with the power of Arch Wiki and Ubuntu Forums.
    See the --no-vram option?. This attends our first main problem.
    sudo grub-install <b>--no-nvram</b> --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck

Now...
    update-grub

Okey... we are close to the final step. This is a combination of commands. Here we tell our lovely Acer that there is a new boot entry. This attends the second main problem.
    cp -R manjaro/* BOOT/
    <code>cd BOOT<br>cp grubx64.efi bootx64.eficd /boot/efi/EFI<br>sudo rm BOOT<br>sudo mkdir BOOT<br>

Restart the System and access the boot menu again. You will see the Manjaro entry in your disc, maybe you will don't even need to access the boot menu ;) . All done.

Some considerations

• the BOOT file we delete in the last step it's definitely something related to Windows. Thats why those steps are recommended just for Linux-only setups.
    • sda1, sda2, etc are generic names. You can have others. See this
    • You can use other program to make partitions, gparted its the most "easy" way to do it.
    • At the moment we do
      chroot /mnt
    WE STAY ON THAT TERMINAL
    • English is not my first language.
    • Im not a Linux pro.
    • To anyone that have more knowledge than me, feel free to improve this "tutorial". Please.

• linyerleo
    linyerleo Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi! .....

I had the same problem. I believe I'm the first one on the entire internet that will document the process to be able to install another linux distribution rather than a Debian-Based one in this particular (oh god it is particular) model. Just one thing: I will never buy another Acer model again. This is just a favor to the community. Its ridiculous how they don't even care to make a proper BIOS/UEFI solution.

To make things clear:
    • Sadly, this is a solution just with GRUB2. It will solve 95% of your problems but if your intention is to NOT use GRUB2, this solution may not be exactly what you need.
    • I DO NOT know what would happen if you already have Windows installed. This is a clean Manjaro Linux installation.

Indeed, the 2 main problems that left out ALL automated installers on the distributions are:
    1. NRAM: When bootloaders install al the stuff they need to be able to be called by the UEFI system, they tend to write in the NRAM. In this model of Acer, accessing to NRAM through efibootmgr (Calamares and Ubiquity use this) FREEZE the system because the installers do it automatically. We need to NOT write in NRAM.
    2. boot file location and name: Almost all UEFI/BIOS systems search for some specific files on a predetermined direction... yet.. our little Acer model DO NOT. It's... you know.. special. You will understand this later.

So... I downloaded Manjaro and of course y got the freeze at the moment of the installation of the bootloader. I thought there may be a way to install Manjaro WITHOUT the bootleader, just like the well known Debian-Ubuntu version of the problem. Well, it's not very clear but Calamares installer make things difficult, so my searches just got nothing.

To the solution.

1)

I boot into the live usb of Manjaro, went to gparted (sudo gparted in terminal) and made the following partitions:

1. /dev/sda1 is the EFI partition, its filesystem is fat32, boot and esp are flags and 512MB is the size. YOU MUST HAVE THIS EXACTLY AS YOU SEE
    2. /dev/sda2 is my / partition. The place where the Manjaro System will go. You just need to be precise in the /dev/sda1 partition.
    /dev/sda3 and /dev/sda4 are optional. The first one is my /home partition and the second one is my swap partition. In the process they are not important.

2)

Open the Calamares Installer and select the "manual partition" option. Here, we just need to tell Calamares in which partitions we will install the totality of the system. AGAIN, for the EFI partition you MUST follow my steps:
    For the rest of the partitions just realte the mount points i.e /root and /home to sda2 and sda3, etc. DO NOT edit partitions INSIDE CALAMARES.

Follow all the steps of Calamares installer (creation of the user, password, office suite, etc) and install...

3)

YES. We need that.

Here we are going to make some magic. Open the terminal and let's forze this hardware to embrace Linux.

Type
    sudo su
    mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
    sudo mkdir /mnt/boot/efi
    Just type those commands, you can find what they do on Arch Wiki. Not big deal, really. The last one its SUPER IMPORTANT
    chroot /mnt
    Now, lets update the databases of Manjaro. We need to install some things. We DO NOT need to upgrade ALL the system's packages.
    sudo pacman -Syu
    Make a new directory (you may already have this created but just in case) (this is kind of a repetition of a prior step)
    sudo mkdir /boot/efi
    NOW... the moment of true. We will install grub AGAIN.. it will not froze, relax.This is a custom command elaborated with the power of Arch Wiki and Ubuntu Forums.
    sudo grub-install <b>--no-nvram</b> --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck

Now...
    update-grub

Okey... we are close to the final step. This is a combination of commands. Here we tell our lovely Acer that there is a new boot entry. This attends the second main problem.
    cp -R manjaro/* BOOT/
    <code>cd BOOT<br>cp grubx64.efi bootx64.eficd /boot/efi/EFI<br>sudo rm BOOT<br>sudo mkdir BOOT<br>

Restart the System and access the boot menu again. You will see the Manjaro entry in your disc, maybe you will don't even need to access the boot menu ;) . All done.

Some considerations

• the BOOT file we delete in the last step it's definitely something related to Windows. Thats why those steps are recommended just for Linux-only setups.
    • You can use other program to make partitions, gparted its the most "easy" way to do it.
    • At the moment we do
      chroot /mnt
    WE STAY ON THAT TERMINAL
    • Im not a Linux pro.
    • To anyone that have more knowledge than me, feel free to improve this "tutorial". Please.

• TheMovingTarget
    TheMovingTarget Member Posts: 1 New User
    linyerleo said:
    Hi! .....

To make things clear:

To the solution.

1)

2)

3)

YES. We need that.

Type
    sudo su
    mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
    sudo mkdir /mnt/boot/efi
    chroot /mnt
    sudo pacman -Syu
    sudo mkdir /boot/efi

Now...
    update-grub

cp -R manjaro/* BOOT/
    <code>cd BOOT<br>cp grubx64.efi bootx64.efi</code></pre></div><br><div>Restart the System and access the boot menu again. You will see the Manjaro entry in your disc<span>, maybe you will don't even need to access the boot menu ;) . All done.<br></span></div><div><br></div><h1><b>Some considerations</b><br></h1><ul><li>the BOOT file we delete in the last step it's definitely something related to Windows. Thats why those steps are recommended just for Linux-only setups. </li><li>sda1, sda2, etc are generic names. You can have others. <a rel="nofollow" href="https://tldp.org/HOWTO/SCSI-2.4-HOWTO/dnames.html">See this</a></li><li>You can use other program to make partitions, gparted its the most "easy" way to do it.</li><li>At the moment we do <br><pre>chroot /mnt</pre></li></ul>WE STAY ON THAT TERMINAL<br><ul><li>English is not my first language. </li><li>Im not a Linux pro.</li><li><b><i>To anyone that have more knowledge thani me, feel free to improve this "tutorial". Please.</i></b><br></li></ul><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br></div> </blockquote> <br><blockquote class="Quote"> <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/en/profile/linyerleo" class="js-userCard" data-userid="504840">linyerleo</a> said:</div> <div class="QuoteText"><div>Hi! .....<br></div><div><br></div><div>I had the same problem. I believe I'm the first one on the entire internet that will document the process to be able to install another linux distribution rather than a Debian-Based one in this particular <b><i>(oh god it is particular)</i></b> model. Just one thing:<b> I will never buy another Acer model again. This is just a favor to the community. Its ridiculous how they don't even care to make a proper BIOS/UEFI solution. </b><br><br>To make things clear: <br></div><div><ul><li>Sadly, this is a solution just with GRUB2. It will solve 95% of your problems but if your intention is to NOT use GRUB2, this solution may not be exactly what you need. </li><li>I DO NOT know what would happen if you already have Windows installed. This is a clean Manjaro Linux installation. <br></li><li><b>YOU WILL NEED INTERNET CONNECTED.</b></li><li><b>My UEFI/BIOS version is 1.19<br></b></li></ul><br>Indeed, the 2 main problems that left out ALL automated installers on the distributions are: <br><ol><li><i><b>NRAM</b></i>: When bootloaders install al the stuff they need to be able to be called by the UEFI system, they tend to write in the NRAM. In this model of Acer, accessing to NRAM through efibootmgr (Calamares and Ubiquity use this) FREEZE the system because the installers do it automatically. We need to NOT write in NRAM. </li><li><b><i>boot file location and name: </i></b>Almost all UEFI/BIOS systems search for some specific files on a predetermined direction... yet.. our little Acer model DO NOT. It's... you know.. special. You will understand this later.</li></ol><div><br></div><div>So... I downloaded Manjaro and of course y got the freeze at the moment of the installation of the bootloader. I thought there may be a way to install Manjaro WITHOUT the bootleader, just like the well known <a rel="nofollow" href="https://askubuntu.com/questions/862946/unable-to-install-ubuntu-on-acer-aspire-es1-533">Debian-Ubuntu version of the problem.</a> Well, it's not very clear but Calamares installer make things difficult, so my searches just got nothing. <br><br>To the solution.</div><div><br></div><h1>1) <br></h1><div>I boot into the live usb of Manjaro, went to gparted (sudo gparted in terminal) and made the following partitions: <br><br><ul><li>/dev/sda1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | fat32 |&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | boot, esp |&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |512mb|<br></li><li>/dev/sda2 &nbsp;&nbsp; | ext4&nbsp; |&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; |&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | 120gb|<br></li><li>/dev/sda3 &nbsp;&nbsp; | ext4&nbsp; |&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; |&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | 95gb|<br></li><li>/dev/sda4 &nbsp;&nbsp; | swap |&nbsp;&nbsp; | &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; |&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | 8gb&nbsp;&nbsp; |</li></ul><div><br></div><ol><li><b>/dev/sda1 </b>is the EFI partition, its filesystem is <b>fat32</b>, <b>boot </b>and<b> esp</b> are flags and 512MB is the size. <b>YOU MUST HAVE THIS EXACTLY AS YOU SEE </b></li><li><b>/dev/sda2 </b>is my / partition. The place where the Manjaro System will go. You just need to be precise in the /dev/sda1 partition.<br></li></ol><b>/dev/sda3</b> and <b>/dev/sda4</b> are optional. The first one is my /home partition and the second one is my swap partition. In the process they are not important. <div><div><br></div><h1>2)</h1><div>Open the Calamares Installer and select the "manual partition" option. Here, we just need to tell Calamares in which partitions we will install the totality of the system. AGAIN, for the EFI partition you MUST follow my steps:</div><div><ol><li>Edit the <b>sda1 EFI partition</b> and put the mount in /boot/efi. <br></li><li>Put the boot flag and ONLY the boot flag.</li></ol>For the rest of the partitions just realte the mount points i.e /root and /home to sda2 and sda3, etc. <b>DO NOT edit partitions INSIDE CALAMARES.</b></div><div><br></div><div>Follow all the steps of Calamares installer (creation of the user, password, office suite, etc) and install...</div><div><br></div><h1>3)</h1><div>Oh no...<b> installation froze again</b> at the moment to install the bootloader. <br></div><div><br></div><div><i>YES. We need that. <br></i></div><div><i><br></i></div><ul><li>Reboot the computer (with the poweroff button, yes. This<i> </i>is Acer ES1 533)<i>.</i></li><li>Boot into the live usb again. <i><br></i></li></ul><div>Here we are going to make some magic<i>. </i>Open the terminal and let's forze this hardware to embrace Linux. <br></div><div><i><br></i></div><div>Type <br></div><div><pre>sudo su<br></pre></div></div></div></div><div>Mount the root partition first, in my case <br></div><div><pre>mount /dev/<b>sda2</b> /mnt</pre></div><div>Make a new directory <i>(you may already have this created but just in case)</i></div><div><pre><code>sudo mkdir /mnt/boot/eficd /boot/efi/EFI<br>sudo rm BOOT<br>sudo mkdir BOOT<br>
    chroot /mnt
    sudo pacman -Syu
    sudo mkdir /boot/efi

Now...
    update-grub

cp -R manjaro/* BOOT/

Some considerations

• At the moment we do
      chroot /mnt
    WE STAY ON THAT TERMINAL
    • Im not a Linux pro.

I don't know what to enter at that last command, should I type boot directory instead of *BOOT or what. Pls help
  • adheera
    adheera Member Posts: 2 New User

I have successfully installed manjaro linux and artix linux alongside windows in my Acer aspire es1 533. And I have written an article about it. Try it out

https://medium.com/@thenujansandramohan/install-any-linux-distro-on-acer-aspire-es1-533-be8e2d6015ef