Acer TC-885-ACCFLI5 cpu upgrade to i7 9700?

xpt90
xpt90 Member Posts: 3 New User
Hey guys, was wondering if I could upgrade my TC-885 to an I7-9700? The motherboard is the B36H4-AD. I know I can upgrade it to an 8700 but not sure about the 9700. I believe the chipset is a b360 but not entirely sure. Would that limit it to an 8700?

Thanks

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    edited June 2020

You can’t use an 8th Gen cpu/mainboard and upgrade its cpu with a 9th Gen cpu, they have different chipsets and bios to make the 8th Gen cpu work on the OEM 8th Gen mainboard. 

Note from Intel: 9th and 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Desktop Processors use an LGA1151 socket. However, they require motherboards based on Intel® 300 Series Chipset. Some Intel® 300 Series Chipset based motherboards may need a BIOS update to support 9th Generation Intel® Core™ Desktop Processors. Please check with your motherboard manufacturer for details. See here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025694/processors/intel-core-processors.html

One option is for you to upgrade to the best 8th Gen cpu which is either the Core i7-8700K or the Core i7-8700T. Otherwise buy the latest mainboard and cpu from the latest Aspire TC-885-UA92 that comes with the Core i5-9400 CPU which you can update to the I7-9700 or even/may be? The Core i9-9900 has to have a Z390 chipset and will not work with the Acer TC-885 mainboard, check the spec of the chipset(s) for the appropriate mainboard and cpu suitability. 

Also, my advice (if you want to upgrade?) is for you to get another mainboard (if you want?) and that can handle a 9th Gen cpu i7-9xxx or the i9-9xxx that will be more suitable for these cpu's than the new Aspire TC-885-UA92 mainboard e.g. like an Asus, MSI Gigabite etc and fit it into the case of the TC-885 which looks like its a m-ATX type case and mainboard. Good luck.

• xpt90
    Thanks Steven. Late reply but I checked the chipset and it does allow for most 65w 8th and 9th gen CPU's but the issue I think is, I am not sure the bios will support it.

Thanks though.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    xpt90 said:
    Thanks Steven. Late reply but I checked the chipset and it does allow for most 65w 8th and 9th gen CPU's but the issue I think is, I am not sure the bios will support it.

Thanks though.
    Hi,
    I have found a user using i7-9700, so I think if you have upgraded the BIOS to version R01-B4, you can use this CPU in your PC.
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/22062812
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/7624?b=1
  • xpt90
    edited July 2020
    Cool, thanks for the help Brummy. I probably should have checked userbenchmark, didn't really think to check there.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    xpt90 said:
    Cool, thanks for the help Brummy. I probably should have checked userbenchmark, didn't really think to check there.
    No problem  :)
  • DatITNinja
    DatITNinja Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited July 2023

I wanted to leave this comment on here because I was able to figure this out for a friend of mine that owns an Acer TC-885.

You CAN install an Intel 9900K onto these systems without any issues. The BIOS / UEFI version on this board is the following:

SMBIOSBIOSVersion : R01-C0
    Manufacturer : American Megatrends Inc.
    Name : R01-C0
    SerialNumber : DTBAPAA023XXXX
    Version : ACRSYS - 1072009

Again, 9900K's DO WORK with this board. We also installed a 2080 Super without any issues as well, all we needed to do is upgrade the power supply to a 700W power supply.

[Edited the content to hide sensitive information]