General Computer Question: Done With Filing Copying. Try to Eject. Still Trying to Do Something?

Options
ttttt
ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
After copying files to my flash drive and checked that the copying is O.K.. Tried to eject it and Windows 10 returned with a message that the flash drive is still busy. That should not be the case, as no other process should be using the flash drive. I believe something ( or some programs) is still reading or writing the flash drive. So I did a computer shutdown right away.

Ever since I activated Windows 10, I uninstalled One Drive program immediately, as I did not like the idea of Microsoft accessing my personal data and retained it in the Cloud environment(actually under Microsoft control). So, do you guys know what was actually going on while the flash drive should not be busy.

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Yes, this occurs when a program is trying to access the usb stick. Does the same problem occur when restarting windows?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    I only put in a flash drive as needed and remove it when done. Haven't tried to use the same flash drive again. Well, this is not the first time I see something like this. It happened with different computers and different flash drives sometimes, but all are under Windows environment. Never happened with Linux OS. I really think Windows is doing something suspicious trying to read my data. This is not a HDD or SSD, so Windows should not be trying to backup something from this flash drive.Through Cloud storage, Microsoft is almost controlling data for all computer users of the world. I should use Linux OS for my personal sensitive data in the future.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    When the problem recurs, try restarting windows explorer:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    My guess is it's a search caching thing, the OS or a utility is building a catalog of the filesystem for everything that's plugged in. By default I know Windows search doesn't do that for removable media, but you can likely configure it to. Waiting a short while while it completes should allow the drive to be ejected, but a better solution is to tell the search engine to not bother with removables. I've seen the symptoms with a utility called "Everything" that builds a catalog for very quick searches...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.