Aspire E5 won’t turn on

DanaLeafy
DanaLeafy Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
My lcd started flickering and then died on my Aspire E5-774G-52W1. I replaced the screen cable yesterday and everything was working fine again. I left it running some processes overnight, plugged in, which I do all the time. When I got up today the charging light was blue as normal but power was off. 

When not plugged in, nothing at all happens on power button push. When plugged in, charging light quickly goes orange to blue as expected. Power button push does not turn laptop on (power light never does anything at any point), BUT the charging light will flicker then go out for a second or two. So it’s seeing the button push, the button isn’t disconnected or whatever because it reliably responds to the push with a charging light off/on. 

I have tried disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, holding down the power button with battery out, holding down battery reset at pinhole (can hear and feel it being pressed down), taking RAM in and out, confirmed button next to RAM is depressed, plugged in external monitor for giggles, nothing has changed. Will not turn on, charging light on and responds by going out then coming back in a moment when pushing power button. Out of ideas at this point. 

Best Answer

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    What happens if you try to boot it on the charger alone? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DanaLeafy

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    What happens if you try to boot it on the charger alone? Jack E/NJ
    Nothing. Except no flicker of the charge light since it’s not on with no battery installed. No sounds, no ‘try’ to start. 
  • JackE
    >>>Power button push does not turn laptop on (power light never does anything at any point), >>>

With the battery installed, charger plugged in, and everything else buttoned up the way it was before replacing the cable, what happens when you press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds---then let the machine rest for a minute---then press the power button once to try to turn it back on like normal? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DanaLeafy

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>Power button push does not turn laptop on (power light never does anything at any point), >>>

With the battery installed, charger plugged in, and everything else buttoned up the way it was before replacing the cable, what happens when you press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds---then let the machine rest for a minute---then press the power button once to try to turn it back on like normal? Jack E/NJ
    Nothing. Well, the charge light goes off for a moment then comes back on. Computer with fan off is usually quiet (ssd), but it makes SOME faint noise. It hasn’t even done that since yesterday when it was fine. 
  • JackE
    >>> I left it running some processes overnight>>>
    What processes? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DanaLeafy

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>> I left it running some processes overnight>>>
    What processes? Jack E/NJ
    Just finishing downloading some files that weren’t done when I went to bed. Everything else was just idle. 

Looking into some other online suggestions, random shutdowns that have happened in the past could be a sign of motherboard failure, which is also a looming culprit here. 
  • JackE
    >>>I replaced the screen cable>>>

Was the battery still connected? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DanaLeafy

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>I replaced the screen cable>>>

Was the battery still connected? Jack E/NJ
    No. It kept falling out so I disconnected it and set it aside. 
  • JackE
    >>> random shutdowns that have happened in the past>>>
    >>>holding down battery reset at pinhole>>>

In addition to the  spring-loaded  normally-on battery disconnect pinhole switch, some mainboards were also equipped with another spring-loaded normally-off safety interlock switch to cut all power to the mainboard when the base cover is removed, loose or otherwise misaligned with the top cover. It is usually located around the memory module sockets. You might want to try tightening the cover screws just in case the cover is not pressing hard enough against the interlock switch to keep it in the on position. If still no joy, you might want to open it up again and see if you can find this switch and maybe tape a spacer on it or the inside cover so it presses harder against the switch when assembled. This interlock switch has been identified as the problem in many reports of random shutdowns in other models. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• DanaLeafy

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    This interlock switch..

Tried it. No difference. 
  • JackE
    Did you find a safety interlock switch or not? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DanaLeafy

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Did you find a safety interlock switch or not? Jack E/NJ
    Yes it has one.  As noted in my original post. I added depth to the peg to ensure it's depressed. Makes no difference. 
  • JackE
    edited June 2020
    >>>confirmed button next to RAM is depressed>>>>

Though not officially recommended but little to lose at this point, did you try to turn it on by pressing the interlock with the cover off? Perhaps, repeatedly flicking it just in case it's contacts are corroded/dirty. Jack E/NJ

PS: Might also be worthwhile checking/re-checking other accessible mainboard connections, include the video cable that you replaced.

Jack E/NJ

• DanaLeafy

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>confirmed button next to RAM is depressed>>>>

Though not officially recommended but little to lose at this point, did you try to turn it on by pressing the interlock with the cover off? Perhaps, repeatedly flicking it just in case it's contacts are corroded/dirty. Jack E/NJ

PS: Might also be worthwhile checking/re-checking other accessible mainboard connections, include the video cable that you replaced.

Tried these. Nothing. Writing it off as a dead motherboard and taking advantage of July 4 sales to move on. Oh well. At least it seems like I didn’t leave obvious stones unturned. Greatly appreciate your attempts to help. 
  • JackE
    Did you use a grounded wrist band like the homemade one I use while poking around inside? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DanaLeafy

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Did you use a grounded wrist band like the homemade one I use while poking around inside? Jack E/NJ

No but I grounded myself first. And recall that it was working flawlessly when I walked away from it and it was buttoned up. Came back later and it was dead. 
  • JackE
    Surge protected? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DanaLeafy

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Surge protected? Jack E/NJ
    No but there are more sensitive items in the house that are affected more easily and no signs anything happened. 
  • JackE
    >>>Power button push does not turn laptop on (power light never does anything at any point), BUT the charging light will flicker then go out for a second or two. So it’s seeing the button push, the button isn’t disconnected or whatever because it reliably responds to the push with a charging light off/on. >>>

I now suspect a heavy current drain somewhere that's tripping it off. How about removing everything one by one that's easily accessible and removable to see if at least the power LED turns on. You've already tried the RAM module. Do it again. Then HDD or SSD. Then new LCD cable. (You don't need a boot drive or screen  to see if the power LED turns on). And any other thing that's connected to the mainboard or its ports.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DanaLeafy

Tinkerer

JackE said:

I now suspect a heavy current drain somewhere that's tripping it off. How about removing everything one by one that's easily accessible and removable to see if at least the power LED turns on. You've already tried the RAM module. Do it again. Then HDD or SSD. Then new LCD cable. (You don't need a boot drive or screen  to see if the power LED turns on). And any other thing that's connected to the mainboard or its ports.  Jack E/NJ
    Well. Unplugging the lcd lets it turn on, even with everything else connected. 

So... get another cable? Unfortunately I’ve only found two listings, on eBay, that may just be the same seller with different accounts. Or could it be the lcd?