Predator CG437KP - HDR Washed Out (Win10 & MacOS) + Awful text clarity (Win10)

Siyfion
Siyfion Member Posts: 3 New User
So my CG437KP arrived yesterday, to replace two 34" ultra-wides. And first impressions are:
  1. I love it, it's huuuuuge
  2. I wish it was slightly curved (after using curved monitors it almost feels like it's curving away from me!)
  3. HDR support in both Windows 10 and macOS results in a VERY washed-out SDR picture, but stunningly beautiful HDR content.
  4. Text in Windows 10 (at native, with no scaling) is hit-and-miss, quite often it looks pretty nasty (pixelated, blurry.. etc)
So I'm looking to see if anyone has had any experience with these issues, and if so, how they overcame them!?

Answers

• Siyfion
    Siyfion Member Posts: 3 New User
    It should be noted that for point 4, in macOS the text is beautiful and I've not seen it render as poorly as Win10 anywhere!
  • gamerbwoi
    gamerbwoi Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

1. Agreed, any monitor over 32 should be flat i think, ive used the new Samsung G9, unless you are level with it, and in front of it perfectly, its viewing angles are poor. Definetly the best ultra wide right now, but not a social monitor.
    2. If im playing beat sabre with the family, i want everyone to see the screen, you cant do that on a curved ultrawide.
    3. Are you using two DP ports? Whats your setup?
    4. Its perfect, however- im on a 2080ti with two DPorts. HDMI or one port wont look good due to colour bandwidths.

• BrutalBipedal
    BrutalBipedal Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

Siyfion said:
    So my CG437KP arrived yesterday, to replace two 34" ultra-wides. And first impressions are:
    1. I love it, it's huuuuuge
    2. I wish it was slightly curved (after using curved monitors it almost feels like it's curving away from me!)
    3. HDR support in both Windows 10 and macOS results in a VERY washed-out SDR picture, but stunningly beautiful HDR content.
    4. Text in Windows 10 (at native, with no scaling) is hit-and-miss, quite often it looks pretty nasty (pixelated, blurry.. etc)
    So I'm looking to see if anyone has had any experience with these issues, and if so, how they overcame them!?
    Very much the same issues, did you manage to resolve?
  • BrutalBipedal
    BrutalBipedal Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

gamerbwoi said:
    1. Agreed, any monitor over 32 should be flat i think, ive used the new Samsung G9, unless you are level with it, and in front of it perfectly, its viewing angles are poor. Definetly the best ultra wide right now, but not a social monitor.
    2. If im playing beat sabre with the family, i want everyone to see the screen, you cant do that on a curved ultrawide.
    3. Are you using two DP ports? Whats your setup?
    4. Its perfect, however- im on a 2080ti with two DPorts. HDMI or one port wont look good due to colour bandwidths.

The monitor is only overclocked when using 2 x DP cables to 144hz and this bares no improvement in image quality due to bandwidth.If anything you lose HDR functionality overclocking using 2 cables.