Acer Travelmate P643M Dead

lanny25
lanny25 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Hi, my Travelmate P643M seems to be completely dead out of the blue. Was working fine until yesterday till I shut it down. Today when I tried to boot it up, pressing the Power button did nothing.Tried connecting the charger, doesn't boot and no LED lights up. Tried removing the battery, pressing the power button for 30-40 secs and connecting the charger, nothing again, except the ethernet LED indicator lighting up for a second as soon as the charger was connected without the battery. Can anyone help me out to troubleshoot the issue.

Answers

• Try a power reset. To do this, disconnect the power adapter and the lition battery. Then press the power button for 60 seconds.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • lanny25

Tinkerer

Tried the Power Reset, did not work. Still no response from the laptop, no indicator lighting up even on connecting the charger with or without the battery. One peculiar thing just happened though, I had left the charger connected and left the laptop unattended for 15-20mins , when I returned I saw the Blue Battery LED had lit up but still the laptop did not boot up on pressing the power button, then even when I removed the charger, the Blue LED was still lit up even though it is supposed to go off as soon as the charger is removed. It only went away when I removed the battery and now I'm back to square one, not booting, no LEDs

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Do you have the means to check power output from the charger? It should be a 19V 65W charger and if it's running under on the voltage it might have difficulty charging. It's also possible, but less likely that you didn't wait long enough for the power to bleed off when doing the battery reset. You should wait a few minutes after pushing the bower button before plugging the battery back in and starting the charge. Your battery isn't as smart as the new ones, which is why I think that less likely.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lanny25

Tinkerer

I've checked the charger on another Acer Aspire E5-575g that I own and it does charge that laptop and the charger that shipped with the Aspire also has no effect on the travelmate. Don't have a Multimeter to check the exact figures though.

I waited almost 30 mins before replugging the battery but still nothing, I guess battery is not the culprit, else the laptop should've worked fine when connected directly to the charger without the battery in place.
  • What happens when you disconnect the lithium battery and turn on the notebook without the battery?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • lanny25

Tinkerer

No response in that case as well, no LED lights up, no boot. After a day of being dead I've noticed 2 weird things happening
    1. If the charger is kept connected for a long period of time, the blue battery LED lights up randomly at some point of time and gets stuck in that state until the battery is removed.
    2. The hard drive and the back panel under it heats up even though the laptop seems to be completely dead, could make this out as the laptop was lying on my bed for 5-6 hours but when I picked it up, the area under the hard drive section was warm.
  • I suggest you take the notebook apart and check all the hardware.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• lanny25

Tinkerer

So, I left it plugged in again last night and when I woke up in the morning, a Red Battery charging LED was glowing (this was different as in previous cases Blue LED would usually glow which would then still continue to glow even when the charger was removed). I pressed the power button now and the laptop booted up as if nothing was ever wrong with it. I'm now afraid to shut it down fearing it might not boot up again. What should I be looking into if I take apart the laptop? Seeing this behavior, I guess probably some capacitor has going bad in the power circuitry? Not sure if the laptop power circuitry even has a capacitor.
  • billsey
    It sounds to me the most likely issue is the battery itself, it must have been right at the verge of deciding it was bad. With the newer batteries they have some internal smarts and take it upon themselves to have a threshold voltage where once reached charging is disabled. This is to keep from having a chance to overheat and perhaps cause a fire. Remember when the Lithium Ion batteries were the newest thing out there and everyone was having them self combust? The embedding of some smarts pretty much makes those overheating scenarios a thing of the past.
    If the battery is just at the threshold the smarts say "don't charge", but only after a very short time of charging while the smarts measure the voltage. In that mode the battery takes a very small charge, which might be just enough to allow it to start charging again. If the smarts test for voltage every hour or so while being plugged in with no current draw on the battery, each of those small charges can build up enough to finally reach the mode where it charges again. I'm guessing that is what has happened in your case. Note that this can only succeed if you are very close to the threshold, too much under and the cumulative charge won't be able to lift the voltage faster than it's dropped by not charging.
    The battery charge indicator is supposed to be blue for a full charged battery, amber for a battery being charged, and red for a battery in failure mode. Did you get to the amber mode after the red one?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lanny25

Tinkerer

My P643M has only 2 color Battery LED, red for Charging and Blue for battery full/on AC Power. Your hypothesis on the battery does make sense but the only argument against this is that no matter whatever is wrong with the battery, the laptop should've booted up fine when connected to the charger without the battery installed.
  • lanny25

Tinkerer

So, I just shutdown the laptop after nearly 2 days of being on (had put it on sleep intermittently), as soon as it shut down, it refused to boot up again. :'( 
  • VictorZ
    VictorZ Member Posts: 3 New User
    hi please can you share the battery part serial no and pic of p643m i have battery replacement issue

• billsey
    The Acer part number for the battery in a TravelMate P643-M is: BT.00605.073, BT.00603.129 or BT.00903.013. The are all the same, just sourced from different vendors.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @VictorZ,

If you got the replacement from acer it's better to contact them before change it.