Dual Booting.

Lulztigre
Lulztigre Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hey Guys,

I just got my Acer Nitro 7. after a couple of weeks i decided to install my Linux as i have done on my previous laptops.
However, both OS(Windows & Linux) are very important to me so i can't drop one for the other.

Firstly during the installation process, i found out i couldn't find my SSD (the one that came with the laptop) to install my linux in. i did a couple of googling and i found out it had to do with optane and what not so i was told to slot in HDD in the pc and boot linux from that.

I did that, installation went fine but now the problem is whenever i put on my laptop it goes straight to windows and not the Grub menu to select the OS of my choice.

HELP!!!!

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I suggest that you make the backup just in case.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• I do not recommend installing linux on hdd. Do it:
    a) access windows and then press windows + r and type msconfig.
    b) go to system startup and activate safeboot;
    c) restart windows and then go to uninstall or change a program and uninstall the intel rapid storage program and the optane memory program. Restart windows;
    d) then, restart windows again, access the bios, go to the main tab, press ctrl + s and change the sata mode to ahci.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Lulztigre

Tinkerer

Okay thank you, i am trying this right now but i get this Error 'The windows installer service could not be accessed', and i will like to ask as well will i lose all datas on hdd and ssd? thanks for your time.
  • in this case, disable wireless and then uninstall intel optane and intel rapid storage, through normal windows startup. Then activate safe boot and change the sata mode to ahci.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Lulztigre

Tinkerer

edited June 2020
    Okay thanks will try that now, but may i ask will my files be safe on both storage?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I suggest that you make the backup just in case.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    I do not have the same computer, I got an Acer Aspire TC-885 UA91, which does  not have Optane memory. However, I liked to dual boot my computers for years. The TC-885 UA91 is just a few months old, currently I have a Manjaro on a separate 2.5" SATA SSD and another Robolinux on a M.2 NVME SSD via the USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port. With the older Legacy machines,I had Windows and Linux co-existed on the same HDD. Nowadays with UEFI BIOS machines, I put Linux distros on separate HDD/SSD.

Before making suggestions, let me get more information from you first. 
    Since your machine is new, I presume the default OS is Windows 10 and the BIOS is UEFI.
    LINUX  distros can be downloaded from the web easily anytime. As long as you use a flash drive or an external HDD to back up your Linux/Windows 10 OS data, dropping the Linux OS temporary should not cause any headache in the future. You won't have too much data on a computer just several weeks old, right? You seemed concern about your data. So, back them up first before trying something else.

Can you clarify which installation process cannot see the original SSD
    ? Seemed to me your computer was shipped with Linux, that normally should not be the case unless it is a very low end computer.

It is perfectly normal if the Windows 10 cannot see the EXT4 format Linux drive. I like it this way, so Windows will not mess up the Linux side easily. Currently Windows 10 of my computer cannot see the Type-C port Linux, and only sees the UEFI boot partition of the Manjaro of the 2.5" SATA SSD (as the UEFI partition is in FAT32 format). 

Is there any room for you to add another 2.5" SATA SSD in your laptop
    ?