Aspire M3985 + GTX 1650

BriceC
BriceC Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire M3985 (Win7 version with Core i7-3770) with latest bios firmware (P01-A2)
I just bought a Zotac GTX 1650
The power supply should be enough for all my hardware.

But, the computer stops just after the boot (I see ACER Logo, and hear a beep).

I tried using a bigger power supply (Corsair VX 550) : same issue.
I tried my video card in an other PC : the card works

It seems there is a sort of lock in the bios preventing to use some recent cards.
But as I have the Win7 version, I don't have UEFI bios and cannot disable these options (secure boot and CMS).

Do I have any chance to make my card work on my system ?

Thanks for your help !

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I think I replied to you on the other thread, but the basic issue is that the newer cards will not work on a machine that's not using a UEFI BIOS. That means either a very late W7 machine (the kind that came with a downgrade from W8 or had an upgrade to W8 as part of the package) or W8 and later. I think yours was earlier than that.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• BriceC
    edited June 2020
    Extra infos:
    • Tried to set a supervisor password, didn't do anything
    • Tried to disable "quiet boot", succedeed to go in post bios after a long time, but nothing more after that (no signal on monitor after few minutes)
    It seems I am screwed :anguished:
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I think I replied to you on the other thread, but the basic issue is that the newer cards will not work on a machine that's not using a UEFI BIOS. That means either a very late W7 machine (the kind that came with a downgrade from W8 or had an upgrade to W8 as part of the package) or W8 and later. I think yours was earlier than that.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BriceC
    Yes, I bought it in 2012 with W7 version. Too bad, it's a legacy bios :(
    I'll try to find a decent GC which works on a legacy bios...

Thank you for your answer !