Swift 3 SF314-57 and USB-C/Tunderbolt charging too slow

Options
BurntTech
BurntTech Member Posts: 4 New User
Hey everyone I just bought the SF314-57 and i've tried a bunch of chargers that support PD 3.0 and this laptop loses power while charging while using 25% or more CPU. I also tested this with a razer core X TB3 EGPU that supports 100 watts charging but this laptop is maybe taking 30 watts when it needs 65 watts according to the barrel jack. This laptop is about perfect for us in every other way. Anyone have any ideas, I fear i'm going to have to return this laptop since its primary use was using this on the Razor core X Dock and i'm not going to plug in the barrel jack and TB 3.0 each time I want to use it. 
Chargers tested and failed to use more then 30~ watts
102watt PD 3.0 charger
65 watt hyperport car charger
65 watt anchor PD 3.0 charger
130 watt PD 3.0 HP charger
Razor Core X 100 watt charger

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,957 Trailblazer
    Options
    Specs on your laptop are:
    Thunderbolt Port
    • Up to 40Gbps Thunderbolt transmission
    • Support USB3.1 Gen 1/2 and Displayport 1.4
    • System charging up to 15W
    • Needed additional flash memory
    So charging only at 15W is going to just be maintenance, not enough to build a charge while running. You can charge, slowly, when the system is off, but you are better served by using the stock charger.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BurntTech
    Options
    Ya I found the line in the manual that says "Delivers up to 3 A at 5 V DC for USB charging" but that sounded like charging devices using the laptop. Either way it doesn't seem to work in practice. Sounds like this device isnt going to work as a thunderbolt dock laptop since it would require a power adapter in addition to the thunderbolt cable connected defeating value of using all in one docks. It really is a shame this laptop is almost perfect design.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,957 Trailblazer
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Yeah, there were a bunch of systems released about the same time with that chipset, and they all have the same features, one step short of what you'd really like a Thunderbolt port to do. It's not too much of a hassle to plug the second wire in though.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • juliuschavezz
    juliuschavezz Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    BurntTech said:
    Hey everyone I just bought the SF314-57 and i've tried a bunch of chargers that support PD 3.0 and this laptop loses power while charging while using 25% or more CPU. I also tested this with a razer core X TB3 EGPU that supports 100 watts charging but this laptop is maybe taking 30 watts when it needs 65 watts according to the barrel jack. This laptop is about perfect for us in every other way. Anyone have any ideas, I fear i'm going to have to return this laptop since its primary use was using this on the Razor core X Dock and i'm not going to plug in the barrel jack and TB 3.0 each time I want to use it. 
    102watt PD 3.0 charger
    hi! i would like to ask how the swift 3 performs with your razer core egpu? does it provide better performance on gaming? is it worth buying an egpu?
  • hardworker
    hardworker Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    BurntTech said:
    102watt PD 3.0 charger

Hi, I recently got a SF313-52G and also using the razer core X egpu. I am also looking at reasons why just using the thunderbolt 3 connection to the egpu can't provide enough power to the notebook to keep it charged. Currently, I need to connect to the barrel jack as well while using the egpu. I don't even know whether the egpu is providing any power to the notebook itself. Windows says the notebook is plugged in, but can't know whether it is charging the battery or not.

Any further information is appreciated.

• BurntTech
    Options
    BurntTech said:
    102watt PD 3.0 charger

Hi, I recently got a SF313-52G and also using the razer core X egpu. I am also looking at reasons why just using the thunderbolt 3 connection to the egpu can't provide enough power to the notebook to keep it charged. Currently, I need to connect to the barrel jack as well while using the egpu. I don't even know whether the egpu is providing any power to the notebook itself. Windows says the notebook is plugged in, but can't know whether it is charging the battery or not.

BurntTech said:
    102watt PD 3.0 charger

Hi Hardworker
    I ended up keeping my Acer laptop and the Razor core X. I will say it might be a combination issue between the razer and the laptop. After buying a lot of chargers and cables since I got both of these both of these it doesn't charge very fast.

Here are some of the items that would need to be checked:
    • Cables have to support the wattage of the charge that would be used but thunderbolt cables have plenty 100~ watts.
    • Charger PD Version and supported voltages
    • Devices PD Version and supported voltages

The problem that is most likely the case is Power Delivery (PD) supports a lot of voltages and devices apparently don't have to support of all of them on the charger side or the device side. Example voltages would be 5,9,12,18,20.  I believe both are to blame really since the Acer laptop can be picky on what chargers and cables work with it and doesn't support PD Version 2 chargers (Only Version 3) I think if I recall. As for the razor core X I've seen a lot of times with other laptops where drops the power from 100 watts.

Where does that leave us with the Razer Core X and the Acer laptop? I will say based on my testing it does indeed charge but very poorly if you put the laptop on the lowest brightness and the power setting "Power Savings" the laptop will charge about 1 percent every 1-5 minutes. I would suggest hooking up the laptop full charged and you can even play a game for maybe 2 hours before the slow charging couldn't keep up on full performance.

• BurntTech
    Options
    BurntTech said:
    102watt PD 3.0 charger
    hi! i would like to ask how the swift 3 performs with your razer core egpu? does it provide better performance on gaming? is it worth buying an egpu?

Sorry I missed this! yes acer can do gaming pretty well with a EGPU! I've been using a 5700 XT AMD card and normally run Rocket league or fall guys with four monitors. I could do some testing if your looking for different type of game. The bottle neck will be the CPU on the laptop since you can always keep putting faster GPUs in the EGPU unit.
  • hardworker
    hardworker Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    BurntTech said:

Hi Hardworker
    I ended up keeping my Acer laptop and the Razor core X. I will say it might be a combination issue between the razer and the laptop. After buying a lot of chargers and cables since I got both of these both of these it doesn't charge very fast.

Here are some of the items that would need to be checked:
    • Cables have to support the wattage of the charge that would be used but thunderbolt cables have plenty 100~ watts.
    • Charger PD Version and supported voltages
    • Devices PD Version and supported voltages

The problem that is most likely the case is Power Delivery (PD) supports a lot of voltages and devices apparently don't have to support of all of them on the charger side or the device side. Example voltages would be 5,9,12,18,20.  I believe both are to blame really since the Acer laptop can be picky on what chargers and cables work with it and doesn't support PD Version 2 chargers (Only Version 3) I think if I recall. As for the razor core X I've seen a lot of times with other laptops where drops the power from 100 watts.

Where does that leave us with the Razer Core X and the Acer laptop? I will say based on my testing it does indeed charge but very poorly if you put the laptop on the lowest brightness and the power setting "Power Savings" the laptop will charge about 1 percent every 1-5 minutes. I would suggest hooking up the laptop full charged and you can even play a game for maybe 2 hours before the slow charging couldn't keep up on full performance.

Thank you for sharing. Recently used a tool called BatteryInfoView which can show the amount of watts that the battery is being charged. Noticed that when using the Razer Core X, the charging watts was under 5W (very low). When using a lenovo usb c charger, the charging watts is over 40W, which can charge my SF313-52G quickly. Can't understand why the notebook cannot draw enough power from the Razer Core X. Using the same egpu on a Lenovo notebook with a thunderbolt 3 port, it can detect it as a 100W charger.