Sudden WiFi disruptions on my Acer Swift 3

prime22
prime22 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have an Acer Swift 3, which was working fine within my first few days of usage . The WiFi connection was good and had no issues . Then, after a few days, I was using it when suddenly the connection became very slow . YouTube videos that once ran on the highest quality with ease now buffered at 144p . Basic Google searches took ages to complete . And I thought it was just the laptop, but it turned out to affect all devices that connected to the network . My phone also experienced extremely slow speeds . I gave up and ran out of options, so I turned off the laptop and went on with my day . But the weird thing was, after it was turned off, my phone and my TV went back to normal . It was as if it didn't even happen . I thought it was just a momentary issue, so I turned my laptop back on . I was wrong . It happened again . That's when I concluded that it had something to do with the laptop, and not the router which I had originally suspected . I reset the network adapter, and tried out a few other methods, but to no avail . Since then, I didn't try anything else . A few days back I decided to try the last resort, by resetting the laptop entirely . It had worked . Everything was back to normal and I no longer had to deal with excruciatingly slow speeds, until today . I had an update that was due . I installed it and the laptop restarted as usual . Then, it happened again . The WiFi speed had dropped yet again on my laptop, and the rest of devices at my home the moment it completed the restart . I didn't know what was wrong and had no choice but to reset the PC again . I came here hoping to get answers if I could . I'm still new to this and may not know a lot about PC settings, so feel free to correct or question me . If there are more details you require, feel free to ask and i will reply as soon as I can . Thanks in advance . Regards.

Comments

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Typically when you see those types of symptoms it can be traced to something running on the laptop that is using a lot of bandwidth. If you aren't doing anything like running a bittorrent client in the background then it might be a virus or other malware. You can look at what ports are active on a Windows machine by using the "netstat" command from an Administrative command prompt. If there are a lot more of them than you'd expect and much fewer when the issue isn't happening, then sometimes the port numbers will give a hint.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.