BSOD after RAM upgrade Acer Travelmate TMP449-G2-M

FrancoM
FrancoM Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hey! 
So I decided to upgrade my RAM (the slot originally had a Adata AD4S2400W4G17-S) to an Adata AD4S266616G19-S

The memory was instantly recognized by the system and was working just fine, but a couple hours after installing it I got a BSoD saying PFN_LIST-CORRUPT (it's happened twice so far and I've been using the PC with the new RAM for about 4 days). I read somewhere that some driver could be the issue but I'm not entirely to familiar on how to check on that either

Can anybody help me solve this issue? I'm new to the RAM upgrade world so I'd appreciate some help.

Comments

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Yes, no surprise there. You replaced memory that is designed to run at the 2400MHz the chipset supports with memory designed to run at 2666MHz instead. Sometimes you can get away with that, though the replacement memory still runs at the old speed, and sometimes you can not. Your machine comes with either 4GB or 8GB of 2400MHz memory soldered to the motherboard and a single slot supporting 4GB, 8GB or 16GB memory in a 2400MHz SO-DIMM package. The vendor you bought the 2666 from should be willing to take it back and sell you the the right stuff.
    It can be confusing, so many people think that memory rated at a higher speed will speed their system up. It just doesn't work that with most system designs. There are some chipsets that support multiple speeds (such as 1066/1333) and in those cases if you replace all the memory with the faster one it will run at the faster speed, but you can't have some of your memory running at one speed and the rest at another. They end up stepping on each other's toes and the user sees crashes that don't always say what really caused them. In your case I believe the new memory is unstable when it's run at the slower speed and that's what is triggering the crashes.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.