USB C question

bwid
bwid Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,

I have a Swift 5 model: SF514-54T-77V6
There is Thunderbolt(TM) controller-8A17 in Device Manager.
But I cannot charge my laptop using Apple 96W USB C Power charger.  There's 2-beeps when plug-in the charger.
I also cannot have 3rd monitor connected to USB C with USB C hubs below:
https://www.amazon.com.au/Novoo-Adapter-Macbook-Matebook-Chromebook/dp/B075FQY5BN/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=novoo+5+in+1&qid=1591944355&s=computers&sr=1-1
and
https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B075FW7H5J?tag=mbn0c-22&ascsubtag=UUimUdUnU44159YYwYg

Can Rep or anyone point me to the right direction.

Thank you.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Here are the specs for that port:
    Thunderbolt Port
    • Up to 40Gbps Thunderbolt transmission
    • Support USB3.1 Gen 1/2 and Display port 1.4
    • System charging up to 15W
    Note that charging level... Now look at the power adapter for your system. It's most likely a 45W adapter, the discrete graphics version of you model have a 65W adapter. That tells you that charging through the Thunderbolt port is only going to help maintain a charge unless you have the machine turned off, and then it will only charge slowly.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • bwid
    billsey said:
    Here are the specs for that port:
    Thunderbolt Port
    • Up to 40Gbps Thunderbolt transmission
    • Support USB3.1 Gen 1/2 and Display port 1.4
    • System charging up to 15W
    Note that charging level... Now look at the power adapter for your system. It's most likely a 45W adapter, the discrete graphics version of you model have a 65W adapter. That tells you that charging through the Thunderbolt port is only going to help maintain a charge unless you have the machine turned off, and then it will only charge slowly.
    Hi billsey,
    Thank you very much for replying my post.
    Sorry for my ignorance, can you elaborate more and can you provide the link for my swift 5 Thunderbolt port specs.
    There is power sign next to my usb c port.

cheers,

• billsey
    The power symbol is referring to the 15W charging available on that port. If you plug in a USB-C or Thunderbolt charger, the system can accept up to 15W of current. That's enough power to keep the laptop at it's current charge for most uses. If you are doing something power intensive, such as some games, the battery will slowly go down. If you are doing something particularly frugal in the power, such as sitting idle with a dimmed screen, it will gradually charge the battery. To charge the battery quickly, or allow heavy gaming without battery depletion, you want to use the stock charger with it's 45W of power.
    The Acer Specs show most of that, though they use slightly different wording. Note the "Thunderbolt 3 / USB charging 5 V; 3 A". That's saying the same thing, since 15W is 5V times 3A.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • bwid
    billsey said:
    The power symbol is referring to the 15W charging available on that port. If you plug in a USB-C or Thunderbolt charger, the system can accept up to 15W of current. That's enough power to keep the laptop at it's current charge for most uses. If you are doing something power intensive, such as some games, the battery will slowly go down. If you are doing something particularly frugal in the power, such as sitting idle with a dimmed screen, it will gradually charge the battery. To charge the battery quickly, or allow heavy gaming without battery depletion, you want to use the stock charger with it's 45W of power.
    The Acer Specs show most of that, though they use slightly different wording. Note the "Thunderbolt 3 / USB charging 5 V; 3 A". That's saying the same thing, since 15W is 5V times 3A.

Hi billsey,
    Thank you very much for the information about the USB C charging specs.

Are you able to help me with Video (HDMI) using USB C hub: Satechi Alumium Multi-Port Adaptor V2 - 4K HDMI (30Hz)?

Thanks again.

• billsey
    The USB-C port supports DP over USB, but not HDMI over USB. If you really need HDMI and can't use DP then you'll need a docking station that gives the HDMI signals.