Swift 3 cannot connect to Bluetooth

Options
Vistadells
Vistadells Member Posts: 3 New User
A few days ago, my laptop (i.e. Acer Swift 3) suddenly became unable to detect any Bluetooth devices. I didn't restart my laptop, but the Bluetooth device just can't connect to my laptop after I didn't use it for a while.

When I checked the notification center, the Bluetooth button just disappeared, looking like that the Bluetooth button never exists. At "Bluetooth and other devices setting", the switch for turning on/off Bluetooth also disappeared, so I can't switch it on again. At Device Manager, there is no Bluetooth being shown, unless I select "view -> show hidden devices". But even if I show "hidden devices" at Device Manager to show Bluetooth, I still can't connect to Bluetooth after I updated all Bluetooth related drivers. I also tried to look at the "Troubleshoot setting", and after scanning Bluetooth for a while the troubleshooter told me "Bluetooth is not available on this device". I also tried to restore some backup of registry that I backed up a few weeks ago, but it doesn't help.

Finally, to try to solve the problem, I upgraded my windows 10 from version 1903 to version 2004, but I still can't connect to the Bluetooth. The situation remains nearly same as above, except one thing: At the Device Manager, the Bluetooth now doesn't show up even if I select "show hidden device", which means the situation for version 2004 is even worse than when I was at version 1903.

Latest details of my laptop:

Model: Acer Swift 3
- Windows 10 Home
- Version 2004
- OS Build 19041.329

Would you please help? Thanks.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options
    What has likely happened is the Bluetooth portion of your WiFi/Bluetooth card has failed. That's why it changed to a hidden device. When you did the 2004 update it wasn't detected so the device wasn't even installed. Which of the Swift 3 models do you have? (SF3-xxx-xxxx likely).
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Vistadells
    Options
    billsey said:
    What has likely happened is the Bluetooth portion of your WiFi/Bluetooth card has failed. That's why it changed to a hidden device. When you did the 2004 update it wasn't detected so the device wasn't even installed. Which of the Swift 3 models do you have? (SF3-xxx-xxxx likely).
    Thanks for reply. My model number is : SF314-51-52DH
  • billsey
    Options
    OK, there were two different cards they used in that model, a Foxconn and a Liteon. I believe they both used the same chipset, so would look the same to the system. The card is an M.2 ad you should be able to replace it with most any of the M.2 WifI/Bluetooth cards. I'm partial to the Intel cards myself, they've always been pretty stable for me. You want a card that supports 802.11ac and maybe WiFi 6 as well. Bluetooth should be at least 4.1 and maybe 5.0.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Vistadells
    Options
    billsey said:
    OK, there were two different cards they used in that model, a Foxconn and a Liteon. I believe they both used the same chipset, so would look the same to the system. The card is an M.2 ad you should be able to replace it with most any of the M.2 WifI/Bluetooth cards. I'm partial to the Intel cards myself, they've always been pretty stable for me. You want a card that supports 802.11ac and maybe WiFi 6 as well. Bluetooth should be at least 4.1 and maybe 5.0.
    Thanks for your reply. Since I've already upgraded my Windows to version 2004, and the Bluetooth was not detected when I did the upgrade, after I replace the M.2 card what are the things that I most probably need to do? Should I just simply turn on the laptop and then the new Wifi/Bluetooth will be automatically detected by the device manager? If the new M.2 card doesn't work, in theory my wifi can still work if I just simply plug the old M.2 card in my laptop?
  • billsey
    Options
    That's exactly what should happen, you power it up the first time after the replacement and Windows will try to install the appropriate driver. Note that the driver might require a download, and you can't easily download before the WiFi driver has been installed... A nice catch22 there. :) Just have the drivers ready on the thumb drive first and you'll be good to go.
  • pleasehelpme123
    pleasehelpme123 Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options
    How do I do what you guys did i am young and don't know what that stuff means!
  • pleasehelpme123
    Options
    I am having the same problem!
  • billsey
    Options
    @pleasehelpme123 do you have exactly the same model Swift (SF314-51-52DH)? Are you seeing exactly the same symptoms? If not it's best to start your own thread (use the Ask a Question button). Include your full model number, what you are experiencing and what you have tried so far. We'll be happy to step you through the diagnosis and hopefully repair of your issue.
  • pleasehelpme123
    Options
    Hello again!

I have no idea what my model no. or where to find it! Where is the ask a question button where i can start my own thread btw?
  • Athwart
    Athwart Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    The full model number is on the sticker on the underside of the laptop. If that's no longer legible, you can get the model number (without the last 3 digits) with the Win+X keys then System.

The 'Ask a Question' button is on the top right of the forum home screen at community.acer.com/en/categories/s-r-series below the Search bar.
  • billsey
    Options
    Ask a Question is one level up from here: https://community.acer.com/en/categories/s-r-series. The model number is available in several ways, as suggested you can find it on the sticker, System Information or Settings; System; About.