Spin SP314-51 WHEA_Uncorrectable_Error & hardware diagnostic tool needed

Codyb
Codyb Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
My Spin SP314-51 is stuck in a Windows Automatic Repair loop and results in an error code WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR every time. It doesn't even get to the point of presenting any repair options. I have also attempted to boot from a USB drive with the Windows setup files on it and I get the same error message even before it can launch the Windows setup. The USB drive works on other computers. This makes me suspect there is a hardware issue with the laptop but I have not been able to determine why. I've searched the Acer community and have not found any working solution. Does Acer provide any hardware diagnostic tool that can be booted from a USB drive and would tell me what the faulty hardware is? 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Not really that I know of. Are you still in warranty? Can you boot into the BIOS and see if it's stable there?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Codyb
    The laptop is no longer in warranty. I am able to get into the BIOS ok. 
  • billsey
    So wander around the BIOS for a while to try and get it to crash there. If you find that it's stable then we're going to have to dive deeper into the OS...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Codyb
    BIOS is stable. I can change settings, restore default settings, etc in the BIOS without any issue. The Windows OS fails to load, cannot be repaired, and can’t even be reinstalled via bootable USB built with Microsoft’s OS installer utility. I’ve had OS issues on other devices in the past and always could reinstall via USB. I can’t in this case.  Which is why I suspect it is a hardware issue. But I have no known way right now to identity which piece of hardware might be the cause. 
  • billsey
    OK, boot the W10 install flash drive, but don't start the install. Instead try the Repair option (just after choosing keyboard language) and bring up command prompt. Again we're just looking around to see if it crashes before the rest of an OS is loaded.
  • Codyb
    It doesn’t even get far enough to be able to get the repair option from the USB drive. It gives the same blue screen error. 
  • billsey
    Yes, it's looking like hardware, but I'm not coming up with which hardware is the issue... The easiest thing to test is the drive. I don't remember if you have a HDD or SSD, but pull it out and try to boot the install image. If it comes up there is something seriously wrong with that drive.