No Bootable Device sometimes when startup Nitro 5 an515-54-78xc

HWei
HWei Member Posts: 5 New User
edited August 2022 in Nitro Gaming
Hi,
I have a new Nitro 5 an515-54-78xc which i bought i month ago, the problem exist since the first day.
Sometime it will show no bootable device when startup or restart, however it will boot as usual when i hold the power button to shut down and power on again. 
Please advice thank you 

[ edited the title to add model name ]

Answers

• HWei
    up! problem still exist after the action below:
    changing to AHCI instead of RST
    turn off fast boot in power option and Bios
    reset battery
    It feels like the ssd is not started, or not enough power sometimes when booting 
  • Access the bios and press f9 to restore it and then press f10 to save and exit. Then, turn off the notebook and reset the battery:
    It might work.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • HWei
    Hi,
    Problem still exist after tried battery reset + bios reset 
    no bootable device usually shown up when laptop is shutdown for some time(more than 15 minutes)
    or power cord is not connected
    now sometimes have to restart multiple time to get device boot
    please suggest another possible solution!
    thank you
  • Try disabling fastboot in bios and fast startup in windows power options. You do not need to enable these functions, if windows is installed on a 2280 ssd m2.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,688 Trailblazer
    edited June 2020
    HWei said:
    Hi,
    I have a new Nitro 5 an515-54-78xc which i bought i month ago, the problem exist since the first day.
    Sometime it will show no bootable device when startup or restart, however it will boot as usual when i hold the power button to shut down and power on again. 
    Please advice thank you 
    Send it back to the retailer where you bought the Nitro 5 an515-54-78xc, don't touch it and.or open it,let them advise you and/or give you a new laptop. Otherwise, contact your Acer Service in your area and tell them about your problem. This shouldnot be happening to a 1 month olf Nitro 5 an515-54-78xc.
  • Xennial
    Xennial Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    It seems like this "No Bootable Device" Sometimes is trending.

https://community.acer.com/en/search?adv=&search=no+bootable+device&title=&author=&cat=1&tags=&article_article=1&discussion_d=1&comment_c=1&discussion_poll=1&discussion_question=1&comment_answer=1&within=1+day&date=

I have the same issue only recently. ~1 year old SF315-52g, low usage of 10-15 hrs a week.

I done the same thing as you
    Power Drain
    Switched to AHCI from RST w Optane
    Disable Fast Boot

same symptoms: It is 'somtimes'' occurring and I observed it is without power cord that the issue happen too. 
    The not enough juice or time to detect the m2 ssd is weird.

I am not sure if the windows update in April was the culprit. 

Will try to disable windows fast startup and watch.

All else fail, I may just do the alt+f10 and windows reset/restore. Or just go to the Acer Support (which I am a bit reluctant)
  • Xennial
    Hi Everyone,

I think I have solved mine.

What I have tried and didn't work
    0) Did a checkdisk /chkdsk and system file check /sfc to ensure the SSD hard disk is really sound and working.
    1) Updated Bios to v1.08 (this didn't prevent the 'no bootable device')
    2) In Bios, disable fast boot (not sure if this is of any help)
    3) Change from RST with Optane to AHCI. (Requires booting in safe mode apart from changing BIOS setting) https://support.thinkcritical.com/kb/articles/switch-windows-10-from-raid-ide-to-ahci
    4) BootFix (Requires a bootable Windows 10 installation on USB thumbdrive https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-no-boot-device-found-error-on-acer-dell-or-toshiba-systems/) This didn't work as it reach a point when the command says "access denied". Suggest not to try this method unless you know what you are doing and make sure you backup all your files and be prepared to reinstall your Windows 10
    5) Alt + F10 on bootup (Acer Logo): I tried resetting and reinstalling everything (with all files removed, after backing up). Still the "No Bootable Device" comes back after a while (likely when all the Windows 10 Update are completed to date)

What finally worked
    1) Reinstall Windows 10 using USB Thumbdrive (https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10). Make sure to change in Bios (Press F2 on Acer logo) to boot from the USB Thumbdrive instead of your SSD hard disk. (Note: At times, your laptop may not seed the SSD hard disk so you aren't able to do the reinstallation. You need to be able to see your SSD hard disk in order to reinstall Windows 10 and replace the faulty one)
    2) Do NOT erase/format/delete the "Recovery" or "ESP/EFI". They are likely necessary to ensure Acer Recovery (alt + 10 function on bootup) is still there. Install/format over the C drive (likely the largest partition) listed there. Some claim that deleting the "Recovery" may void your Acer Warranty.
    3) Perform all the Windows 10 Update

Been 3 days, no more issue, pray hard that it will not surface anymore.
    Hope it helps others as well.
  • HWei
    Thank you Xennial,
    will try to reinstall windows 10
    will reply later if this work  :)

• @HWei Before installing windows, using a microsoft iso, back up the operating system provided by acer:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCmAOwRYNwY&list=FLVBqwtBw09_Z9tXo1Injakw&index=7&t=43s

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Xennial
    HWei said:
    Thank you Xennial,
    will try to reinstall windows 10
    will reply later if this work  :)

Hi HWei,

How is it?

I have to say I did face the "No Bootable Device" again over the weekend. Just on Saturday morning. 

Thereafter, none again. (in between I did nothing; Just let the laptop rest for a while before trying. I didn't bother to power drain with a safety pin or needle trick.)

I called up Acer Care in my country today (Monday 13 July 2020). Because of COVID-19, they said the avg time to service a laptop may take around 14 "working days". That's really very long time to live without a laptop. (My laptop Swift 315-52g is still within the warranty period)

I am trying to live with the issue hopefully it just appears like once a week. One observation I forgot mention is I try not to attach any usb devices during bootup except for the mouse. (no external harddisk, usb gadgets or usb powered cooling fan etc.) That seems to help a little maybe.

Let me know the status of your laptop. Always good to share and exchange any tips and observation.

Thank you.

• @Xennial Your model is different. Ideally, you should create a new topic and add me by placing an @.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Xennial
    @Xennial Your model is different. Ideally, you should create a new topic and add me by placing an @.
    Hi egydiocoelho,

Thanks for pointing it out. I am aware. But the other topic of the same model doesn't seem to get much response.  
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/558488/acer-swift-3-sf315-52-no-bootable-device-optane-memory-issue

Moreover, I tried searching "No Bootable Device", it seems to affect across different models of Acer. Thus, it does not appear to be model specific and makes me wonder if I should purchase another Acer product in future again. 

Hoping that it is a Windows 10 issue and a new update/patch would fix it.
  • This problem can occur due to a failure in windows, when the boot partition is corrupted, by some hard drive failure or by some wrong bios configuration. That's why it would be interesting for you to create a new topic.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Xennial
    I thought Acer has blocked me for some reason! Was unable to logon for weeks.

Just an Update.
    In the end, it was the ssd that was the issue (despite it passed chkdsk and sfc)
    Replaced at Acer Centre since laptop is still within warrany period. So far so good. 

• christjonatan
    christjonatan Member Posts: 1 New User
    Xennial said:
    I thought Acer has blocked me for some reason! Was unable to logon for weeks.

Just an Update.
    In the end, it was the ssd that was the issue (despite it passed chkdsk and sfc)
    Replaced at Acer Centre since laptop is still within warrany period. So far so good. 

Why did Acer Service Center replace the SSD? Is it broken?