Acer Aspire Z1-621 - How to remove the back to access hard drive

LMG09
LMG09 Member Posts: 4 New User
Hi - I have an Acer Aspire Z1-621 (part number DQ.SYNEK.001) with a faulty hard drive which needs replacing. I'm struggling getting the back of the unit to access the hard drive. I've removed 6 screws (4 from the corners and 2 under the stand). Do I need to remove the optical drive before attempting the removal of the back? I'm unable to see how this is done. I've seen tutorials based on a Z1-623 but this has a clear 7th screw which allows the removal of the optical drive. I can't find this on the Z1-621. 
Are there any Acer experts out there that can assist me, ideally with step by step instructions. 
In addition, are there any clips that I need to be careful of when removing the back? 
I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I don't think so, just go slow and pop it loose a clip at a time, Start at the bottom working to the right edge, then up to the top, then over to the left...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• LMG09
    In addition, this model does not have a separate hard drive cover on the back - it looks like I have to remove the complete back panel.
  • billsey
    Hmm, I thought all the Z1-621 versions had that HDD cover just to the right of the stand... The main cover has six screws holding it on and then you pry it carefully up clockwise from the bottom. I don't see anything in the service guide about the optical drive being in the way.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    I don't think so, just go slow and pop it loose a clip at a time, Start at the bottom working to the right edge, then up to the top, then over to the left...
  • LMG09
    Hi - Thanks for your prompt response. My investigation online always leads me to the to the unit having a HDD cover. Unfortunately, this is not the case on this occasion. There is a thread (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/484291#Comment_484291) dated February 2017 that has a photo of a Z1-621 without the HDD cover. This is exactly the same as the one I have. 
    Are there any plastics clips that I need to be aware of when prising the back of the unit? I wouldn't want to break anything.
    Regards
  • LMG09
    Thanks Billsey for your help. There was no need to to remove the optical drive to get the back off. Just required slightly more force than I was comfortable with. Thanks again
  • billsey
    Let us know if you have any other issues with the drive replacement...
  • cybertech1
    cybertech1 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi LMG09

I hope you get this message, as I'm in the same predicament as you.

I've got all the screws out, but the back won't separate from the front. I've replaced a lot of hard drives in all in one computers, but nothing like this. Did you find a way to remove the stand? Did it come off with the back cover? I'm pulling on the corners with a scary amount of force, and the cover still won't come off.
  • cybertech1
    cybertech1 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi LMG09

I hope you get this message, as I'm in the same predicament as you.

I've got all the screws out, but the back won't separate from the front. I've replaced a lot of hard drives in all in one computers, but nothing like this. Did you find a way to remove the stand? Did it come off with the back cover? I'm pulling on the corners with a scary amount of force, and the cover swon't come off.