Can I get some help in identifying a few upgrades?

Bernrod
Bernrod Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
Hey Guys,

I'm passing my computer to one of my kids and was hoping you can help me tell what is the max chip, video card and memory spec I can get\upgrade for 
Acer Aspire G3600-U4082u Predator.  The following link is the spec sheet.  I purchased this computer at Fry's Elections a while back.  Any info would help.  Thank You!

https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-aspire-g3600-u4082u-predator-core-i5-2300-2-8-ghz-8-gb-1-5-tb/

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Nope, you can't go over 4GB in any one slot. To get 16 you need four 4GB modules. For the GPU a bit of googling shows plenty of hits saying which generation of cards work and which don't. There was a time where some card of the same generation work and some do not, depending on who built the card. Better safe than sorry and look for just older than that. :) Think in terms of what was available when Windows 8 was released (2012?), that's when the UEFI systems started becoming standard. This is NVIDIA specific, but there is probably one for AMD as well.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    OK, that system uses the 2nd generation Intel CPUs and is designed for the 95W versions, so the best you can do with the CPU is the i7-2600, the 2600K and 2700K are also available, but I don't believe the BIOS supports overclocking so the gain is negligible. The move from i5 to i7 is fairly significant though... You have 8GB of memory and the system supports 16GB with the four slots. You need to look and see if you have four 2GB modules or two 4GB modules now. You are supposed to be able to use 1333s so standard DDR3 DIMMs are appropriate. You can also drop a video card in, but you need to make sure it's old enough for your legacy BIOS, a lot of the newer ones require UEFI BIOS instead. Finally, and the biggest bang for your buck, is to drop a SSD in as your boot drive instead of the 1.5TB HDD you have. Convert the HDD to storage after you have it booting on the SSD. SSDs are getting close to being the cheaper option and they make a huge performance difference, especially compared to the 5400RPM drive you have now.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Bernrod
    Thanks Billsey, that does help a lot.  Buying this from a retail store makes it more tricky for understanding the upgrades.  I did inspect the system and there are 4x 2gb modules.  I'm assuming I can replace them with 2 8gb dimms instead of 4x 4gbs.  SSD makes good sense.  Upgrading the chip should be fine.  Upgrading the video card is the only one that can be tricky for me.  How can I find out if a video card is old enough for my legacy Bios which currently is at P01-A3.  I haven't tried updating of late so I be checking for a new version.  Not sure how to see that line of no return.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Nope, you can't go over 4GB in any one slot. To get 16 you need four 4GB modules. For the GPU a bit of googling shows plenty of hits saying which generation of cards work and which don't. There was a time where some card of the same generation work and some do not, depending on who built the card. Better safe than sorry and look for just older than that. :) Think in terms of what was available when Windows 8 was released (2012?), that's when the UEFI systems started becoming standard. This is NVIDIA specific, but there is probably one for AMD as well.
  • Bernrod
    Thanks Bill, I appreciate the help, be safe!