Acer Swift SF114-32 does not expose VT-x to Virtual Machine software

Options
DrDweeb
DrDweeb Member Posts: 10 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
The title says it all.

The BIOS (V 1.12) is correctly set, and I have tried Virtual Box and VMware, neither of which allow x64 OS clients to be installed.

Is this a feature or a bug?

Best Answer

• DrDweeb
    Answer ✓
    Options
    DrDweeb said:
    billsey said:
    Good to know, I wonder if VirtualBox is at error here or whether VT-x is really disabled?
    Well, since VMWare only works when VMWare doesn't go looking for it, we can be quite sure that it is a BIOS (or host OS) problem. I may be that Windows10 Home doesn't support passing VT-x through, which might make some sense given that Win10 Home doesn't support Hyper-V
    On Win10 hosts, check Windows Defender > Device Security > Core Isolation Details and make sure settings in this panel are turned off, reboot the host from power down if you needed to make changes.
    "Core isolation [includes] security features available on your device that use virtualization-based security"

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Does Hyper-V allow them? Can you use 32bit clients with either? I can't think of anything offhand that would be blocking...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DrDweeb
    Options
    I have never used Hyper-V and know nothing about it. I thought it was an Enterprise Level skinny OS replacement under which one managed VM instances. I just want the VM for testing/fun.

This is just a cheap and cheerful travel machine that is getting a lot of use because I am stranded in another country and it is all I have.
  • DrDweeb
    Options
    billsey said:
    Does Hyper-V allow them? Can you use 32bit clients with either? I can't think of anything offhand that would be blocking...
    "The Hyper-V role cannot be installed on Windows 10 Home."

:anguished:
  • billsey
    Options
    Ah yes, I forgot about that... Hyper-V is essentially the same thing as VMware but without the licensing cost. You still need licenses for OSes installed as
    VMs, but not for the hypervisor itself. I've got a different Swift 3, but I'll try Virtual Box on it with a W10 Pro VM and see if that works.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Options
    Ok, I installed VirtualBox and started a VM to install Windows 10. Where does it fail for you, and how does it fail?
  • DrDweeb
    Options
    Well, this is a SWIFT 1. 

32 Bit clients seem to work, while 64 bit ones do not.
    VMWare won't create a 64 bit VM. Virtual box will do it, but it won't start.

64bit VMs are not possible because apparently the VT-x instructions are not exposed. 

Do Acer have a proper place to log this?
  • billsey
    Options
    I was just trying to pin it down to the software if possible... With my system VirtualBox was doing the same thing, I could create the VM but it would switch to pause mode when trying to start the OS install and I couldn't find any way to do a resume. Mine is an i7, so it's not a processor specific issue. I wonder if there's any way to do a compatibility test that would tell us more.
  • DrDweeb
    Options
    I have no managed to install another different Linus (ElementaryOS) on VMware 15.5 and it worked fine. 
    My solution is ditching VirtualBox.

cheers
  • DrDweeb
    edited June 2020
    Options
    DrDweeb said:
    I have no managed to install another different Linus (ElementaryOS) on VMware 15.5 and it worked fine. 
    My solution is ditching VirtualBox.

cheers
    I should add that it only works when the VT-x box is NOT enabled. Otherwise an error is generated.
    In VirtualBox, VT-x is required for 64bit OS clients and as I wrote earlier, it is greyed and unselectable.
  • billsey
    Options
    Good to know, I wonder if VirtualBox is at error here or whether VT-x is really disabled?
  • DrDweeb
    Options
    billsey said:
    Well, since VMWare only works when VMWare doesn't go looking for it, we can be quite sure that it is a BIOS (or host OS) problem. I may be that Windows10 Home doesn't support passing VT-x through, which might make some sense given that Win10 Home doesn't support Hyper-V
  • DrDweeb
    Answer ✓
    Options
    DrDweeb said:
    billsey said:
    On Win10 hosts, check Windows Defender > Device Security > Core Isolation Details and make sure settings in this panel are turned off, reboot the host from power down if you needed to make changes.
    "Core isolation [includes] security features available on your device that use virtualization-based security"
  • billsey
    Options
    So that made it work correctly? :)
  • mellaby
    mellaby Member Posts: 20

Tinkerer

Options
    Sorry for cutting in on this conversation, have any of you got the Swift 1 with bios 1.12 working with win 10 2004. My bios 1.11 has wiped out my display.
  • DrDweeb
    Options
    billsey said:
    So that made it work correctly? :)
    Yes, this seems to be the solution
  • DrDweeb
    Options
    mellaby said:
    Sorry for cutting in on this conversation, have any of you got the Swift 1 with bios 1.12 working with win 10 2004. My bios 1.11 has wiped out my display.
    I upgraded from 1.06 to 1.12 with no issues. I am running Win10 whatever the latest version is.