SF314-56-78M6 has begun making a very loud noise, is it okay to keep using it?

Ben12343213
Ben12343213 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,

Here is a video showing what I mean:

As title. I have owned this laptop for only a few months. I have had it make loud fan noise before but nothing like this. It has not seemed to have had an impact on performance. Can I keep using it? Is there a way to fix it? Or just send to repair ASAP?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    If you have eliminated the sound coming from the speaker and I don't think that is the problem It sounds like something came loose and is rubbing on a moving part. The only moving part is the fan. The fan is below the red circle in the pic. You should be able to hear it good through the grill.
    The lower case is fairly easy to remove if you want to look for the problem. 
    Remove the 9 screws circled 

• Ben12343213
    Thanks Philetus,

I thought it was the fan. I would give this a go but the screws are unlike any I’ve seen before, do you happen to know what sort of screwdriver I would need? Or some other way to remove them without damage?
  • philetus
    They are Torx  screws. You need a Torx bit.
  • Ben12343213
    Hi,

I have removed the case as instructed. The fan does not appear to be rubbing on anything. Here is a video of how it behaves:

https://youtu.be/Mm_Ne4mo9-I

As you can see it is struggling to spin effectively. Half the time it does not run at all now, despite the machine becoming quite hot. Any ideas?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    If you are still in warranty, now is the time to contact Acer support, if out of warranty the Acer part number for that fan is either 023.100CY.0011 or 023.100CY.001.  I don't know what the differences, if any, there are between the two numbers. Acer sources them both from the same vendor. You really need to replace it before trying to use it very long at all or else you'll start getting random power offs due to overheating.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • philetus
    The bearing could be bad or something could be in the fan hanging it up. The fan doesn't appear to be available anywhere besides Acer.
  • Ben12343213
    billsey said:
    If you are still in warranty, now is the time to contact Acer support, if out of warranty the Acer part number for that fan is either 023.100CY.0011 or 023.100CY.001.  I don't know what the differences, if any, there are between the two numbers. Acer sources them both from the same vendor. You really need to replace it before trying to use it very long at all or else you'll start getting random power offs due to overheating.
    Thanks, after ringing Acer support yesterday they say I still have the warranty so I will do that.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Great! Let us know what they find.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.