What is the safe temperature, really?

muhlisgursoy
muhlisgursoy Member Posts: 32 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,

I'm using Acer Swift 3 (SF315-52G) with Intel i5-8250U CPU.

I have found a way how to enchant my Intel i5-8250U using ThrottleStop. I have undervolted, increased the TPL, and also changed the PROCHOT of the CPU. Before the process, the CPU was getting 900 scores on Cinebench, but now it achieves a 1580 score. Long story short, what should my CPU's maximum temperature be? By default, the CPU maxes at 80 and throttles to 70. But now I'm able to set it up to 100 but currently, it's 95. On the Tech Power-Up forum says, it's not dangerous to increase it till 100 degrees Celsius. Is it true? What should be the maximum temperature?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The CPU shuts down due to thermal overload at 100°C, so anything less than that by enough margin to deal with the lag in temperature changes will work. Just be aware that the design specs are for running at 80°C on your system, so you might shorten the life a bit by maxing out at 95°C. It shouldn't be enough shorter to really worry about though. But be prepared to back off a bit when the weather is hot...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    The CPU shuts down due to thermal overload at 100°C, so anything less than that by enough margin to deal with the lag in temperature changes will work. Just be aware that the design specs are for running at 80°C on your system, so you might shorten the life a bit by maxing out at 95°C. It shouldn't be enough shorter to really worry about though. But be prepared to back off a bit when the weather is hot...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • muhlisgursoy
    muhlisgursoy Member Posts: 32 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    billsey said:
    This was the answer I'm searching around! Thanks for the information, I think I'll set the maximum temperature on my CPU as around 85. A lot of people say CPUs will work fine till 100°C and also a lot of people saying 70°C should be the maximum and I was confused. But this answer covered things that I've concerned about. Thanks again.
  • billsey
    No problem, glad I could help.