External Monitor Swift SF314-52-584R

Charliesmith
Charliesmith Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I've got a Swift SF314-52-584R and I'm getting confused as to how I can run multiple external monitors. I'm current running 1 external monitor via the laptop's HDMI port to DVI. I'd like to be able to run up to 2 or 3 external monitors (in total) if possible. So I'm getting confused as to what I need to purchase. I've already tried a usbc to DVI lead and this did not work.  Can I run a docking station from USBC port, or do I need a USB 3.0 dock? I was also looking at display adaptors running off either the 1 x usbc or 2 x usb 3.0 ports but now have got even more confused, especially when some say usbc on the Acer will not support video.  I'm also struggling to find Acer technical info on the usb ports. Any recommendations much appreciated. 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    You should be able to use a docking station from either USB 3.0 or USB-C to add additional monitors. Make sure that the dock you choose supports multiple monitors simultaneously, some will have more than one port but only support one at a time. Your USB-C is 3.1 Gen 1, so no video directly off it using a USB-C to DP cable like you can do with gen 2.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • KreAch3R
    KreAch3R Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hello @billsey

So you say that we can buy a USB A 3.0 dock that has an HDMI port and can support a second display (extended desktop, NOT duplicated). Right? Can you please show me a product on Amazon like that? I'm struggling to find out what is supported by the laptop (SF314-52 as well). 
  • billsey
    Sure. Note that this isn't an endorsement, just the first item in my search on Amazon.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • KreAch3R
    billsey said:
    Sure. Note that this isn't an endorsement, just the first item in my search on Amazon.
    Thank you for the super fast reply. So I'm looking at the listing, it just says "USB C hub USB 3.0 to Dual HDMI". No mention for any other incompatibility. So any laptop like ours with a USB 3.0 port can use this to connect external monitors?

I'm confused because this thread also exists and says that my SF314-52 doesn't have "USB-Type C Dock support", which I don't know what it is. 

Can I buy this for example? https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Adapter-Compatible-Macbook-Surface/dp/B093BJ4S9P/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=Ugreen+50209&qid=1631485504&sr=8-16

or this: 
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multiport-Tuwejia-Thumderbolt-Charging-Compatible-Grey/dp/B085C7KHW6/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+active+usb+c&qid=1631486042&sr=8-19&th=1
  • billsey
    edited September 2021
    Those both require the alt mode DP over USB-C and will not work for video with your laptop. That's why they are so much cheaper.
  • KreAch3R
    billsey said:
    Those both require the alt mode DP over USB-C and will not work for video with your laptop. That's why they are so much cheaper.
    Ah, ok. So that's something I need to check. But I didn't find it mentioned somewhere like that. I found this in UGREEN: "Please comfirm your devices support DP 1.4 and 60Hz." And nothing on the other. So how did you find that out? Basically, the more important question is, how do you know the one you suggested doesn't also need that (so I can find something that fits me)

Thanks again for the help.
  • billsey
    Yeah, you sometimes have to read between the lines. The pricing is a large factor. In order to have a GPU built into the dock, so it can generate it's own video signals, the price has to be higher than the prices of the ones using DP alternate mode.