Acer Swift 3 no boot

Options
Samuel12345
Samuel12345 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Hi,

I have an acer swift 3 (SF314-52) and I woke up one day and it wouldnt respond to anything but the blue light would indicate it was on. I tried all the obvious like the battery pin hole. That also seemed to do nothing so I decided I would take it all apart and reseat everything. And sure enough after taking the board out and un-plunging absolutely everything I got into windows!

After booting into windows I reset it (reinstalled windows) and all was great for a few days until this morning when it wouldn't boot again. I tried resaeting everything but still no boot. 

What im experiencing is that it trys to enter safe mode or recovery mode but the second I get the spinning wheel of dots it gives me a BSOD. I tried reinstalling windows of a usb but i cant access the installer as the same thing happens a BSOD :(. Literally the only place I can go without getting a BSOD is the bios. 

I would really appreciate any help as this is a laptop I use for school and currently that is really important. There is no DATA(SOOOO HAPPY I BACKED MY STUFF UP) i need off of it so I dont care if i have to format it. 

Thank you in advance!

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yup, sounds like you have it pretty much nailed. Those errors could either be CPU or memory. :( Unfortunately that's going to mean a motherboard replacement since both the processor and memory are soldered in. I hope you are still in warranty?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Soldering ram in saves a bunch of thickness, which translates to a thinner laptop. Thin is in these days (plus it's cheaper to solder it in, not extra masking needed and it saves steps in the assembly process). Most manufacturers these days are doing that on anything they market as "Thin and Light".
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Options
    Yeah, you have something corrupted in the OS load, either bad drivers (which would likely fix themselves if you could get it up long enough to update them) or an app that's trying to launch with bad configuration. On the blue screen try to take a picture for us, they usually have some info as to what is actually failing.
    Can you boot in Safe mode without networking? That might work if the bad stuff isn't the core Microsoft bits.
  • Samuel12345

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    Yeah, you have something corrupted in the OS load, either bad drivers (which would likely fix themselves if you could get it up long enough to update them) or an app that's trying to launch with bad configuration. On the blue screen try to take a picture for us, they usually have some info as to what is actually failing.
    Can you boot in Safe mode without networking? That might work if the bad stuff isn't the core Microsoft bits.
    Thanks for the reply, 
    Here are some of the various blue screens im getting:(photo attached)
    I also got the IRQl-not-less-or-equal thing a few times. I cant boot into safe mode as i also get a blue screen. As I said before it is impossible to do anything except go into the bios without blue screening. After the blue screen it restarts and says ACER preparing automatic repair then it either blue screens again or it stays stuck on the screen forever. It displays ACER and then blue screens right away.
  • Samuel12345

Tinkerer

edited May 2020
    Options
    Should I try to make a recovery drive off another PC? Also why would bad drivers stop me from entering recovery mode through a usb with a copy of windows made with the media creation tool?
  • Samuel12345

Tinkerer

edited May 2020
    Options
    Made a recovery usb using another PC. Cant acces it though as when i go into the boot menu and select the usb I get a BSOD. Im really starting to think that maybe my RAM or CPU are dead...
  • billsey
    Options
    So when you try to boot from the install flash drive it also crashes? Or can it sit on that first installer screen just like it can sit in the BIOS?
  • Samuel12345

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    So when you try to boot from the install flash drive it also crashes? Or can it sit on that first installer screen just like it can sit in the BIOS?
    correct- It bluescreens before entering the installer.
  • billsey
    Options
    But you can sit in the BIOS without a crash? What about going to the boot menu and sitting there?
  • Samuel12345

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    But you can sit in the BIOS without a crash? What about going to the boot menu and sitting there?
    Yes I can sit in the boot menu and BIOS with NO crash.
  • billsey
    Options
    Ok, so it's definitely something that happens with the Windows load process. Can you boot on a Linux live image?
  • Samuel12345

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    Ok, so it's definitely something that happens with the Windows load process. Can you boot on a Linux live image?
     I can't and it baffles my brain. I made a live copy of Ubuntu and EVEN chrome OS. Chrome OS did nothing- Just a black screen with acer logo. Ubuntu brought me to the place where I can choose what to boot into. I chose Ubuntu from the menu and then the screen went black and the process repeats. I tried ubuntu safe same thing PC just reboots. Then i went into the command prompt and hit TAB it listed commands and one was call ALL_FUNCTIONAL_TEST. I tried it but it said that some file was missing from the disk and that it couldnt run the command.  
  • Samuel12345

Tinkerer

Options
    About to try linux mint.
  • Samuel12345

Tinkerer

Options
    So this is what happens with linux mint.
    I get to the menu (second picture) and select the first option to boot into linux and i get the first picture. It seems to kernal panic. It rolls this text so I cant catch the first part. I genuinely think that maybe my ram or cpu are dead.

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yup, sounds like you have it pretty much nailed. Those errors could either be CPU or memory. :( Unfortunately that's going to mean a motherboard replacement since both the processor and memory are soldered in. I hope you are still in warranty?
  • Samuel12345

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    I dont think i'm in warranty. The laptop is almost 4 years old :( 

• Samuel12345

Tinkerer

Options
    also I get that the CPU is soldered on but why the hell is RAM soldered to the board? Seems like something only apple would be capable of doing to their customers...
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Soldering ram in saves a bunch of thickness, which translates to a thinner laptop. Thin is in these days (plus it's cheaper to solder it in, not extra masking needed and it saves steps in the assembly process). Most manufacturers these days are doing that on anything they market as "Thin and Light".